Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Hernia Forum

Surgery to lower testicle ?

User Profile
I had a right side hernia repair (open surgery) with a mesh a week ago.

The doctor said he checked the possible hydrocele problem by pulling my right testicle and pushed it back as as far as he could. But it got stuck in the canal and did not reach the scrotum. My right testicle is slightly bigger than the left since childhood. I had also mentioned it to him.

Now the pain has somewhat subsided at the incision place but pain at the beginning of the scrotum is very high as the testicle is stuck at a much higher location. My doctor suggests for an ultrasound to verify whether there is a tumor and he will have to do another surgery to either pull the testicle down or remove it. I am under quite bit of pain and very uncomfortable while walking.

Do you thing the testicle will fall down automatically after the swelling is completely gone? or a surgery is required? Thanks

Did you find this post helpful?

User Profile
replied August 27th, 2009
Hernia Answer A7158
You will likely require another operation, as the testicle will almost certainly become fixated in its current location by postoperative scarring.

You also might want to seek a second opinion, perhaps from a Urologist.

Sincerely/ Robert A. Wascher, MD, FACS

A landmark, evidence-based guide to a healthy cancer-prevention lifestyle, based on cutting-edge cancer research.
Did you find this post helpful?
Must Read
We review the definition of a hiatal hernia, what causes it, and types of hernias in this Introduction to Hiatal Hernia....
Do you know the difference between a small and large hiatal hernia? Know when to seek medical help? Hiatal hernia symptoms and more here....
Hiatal hernias are diagnosed clinically. But what lab tests and procedures can help confirm hiatal hernia? We review the medical exams here....
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Hernia , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.