Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Pancreas Disorders Forum

Surgery for pancreatic cancer spread to liver

Does anyone know of a hospital that will perform surgery on Pancreatic cancer that spread to the liver? My Dad was diagnosed with Pancreatic cancer and it has spread to the liver. We caught it early, he feels great! we dont want to wait till he starts to feel bad. A surgeon has alread told us he would not do surgery (whipple procedure) Does anyone please know of a surgeon or hospital in southern California that would do the surgery? PLEASE HELP!
Did you find this post helpful?

User Profile
replied September 19th, 2009
Unfortunately, the surgeon who saw your father gave you the correct advice. There is ample clinical research data to show that attempting to do the Whipple procedure on patients who already have pancreatic cancer metastatic to the liver does not improve their survival and, in fact, may decrease their survival due to complications associated with this very complex and high-risk operation.


Robert A. Wascehr, MD, FACS

A landmark, evidence-based guide to a healthy cancer-prevention lifestyle, based on cutting-edge cancer research.
Did you find this post helpful?
Must Read
Millions of Americans are diagnosed with cancer. But what exactly is cancer and how does it affect the body?...
What puts you at risk for developing cancer? Learn how you can avoid or reduce exposure to risk factors for cancer here....
Cancer can occur anywhere in the body. But what are the signs and symptoms of cancer? Learn about general symptoms of cancer here....
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Pancreas Disorders , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.