Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Carpal Tunnel Syndrome Forum

3 surgeries 2 on one of the wrists and she still has pain

User Profile
My mother has cts and has had 3 surgeries 2 on one of the wrists and she still has pain. she says she has sharp pains, also weak hands cant grip tightly. my question is... are their any career paths that you can suggest that does not cause alot of stress on the hands and wrists? she was a dental hygenist then tried phlabotomy after the surgeries but found it to be to painful for her wrists. i want to help her get back into the workforce and regain a normal life. i know there are others out there that are like her who are living normal lives, and i just want to help her get to that place. again i appreciate you taking the time to help give me some insight. thank you so much

Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied March 23rd, 2012
Carpal Tunnel Syndrome Answer A33078
Welcome to e health forum.

Carpal tunnel syndrome, when it is very severe, and when surgeries also do not help the pain, then it does cause severe occupational disability.

Change of a occupation would be a difficult task, and it has be considered even when other measures like pain reduction, change of her work environment and use of prosthesis, which will reduce her symptoms could be of help.

Hence I would suggest her to consult a physiotherapist, who can help her to achieve symptom control with measures including ultrasound therapy, electromagnetic field therapy, magnetic therapy, low level-laser therapy, or nerve gliding exercises.

A occupational therapist's help also is needed to help with adjustment of behavior and assessment of a persons ability to fit into other occupations, which involve less use of her hands and arms. A proper evaluation of your mother's level of education, interests, physical fitness and other points are needed to assess how she can lead a productive life.

Only after this is is possible to see which work profile can be suited to her.

|
Did you find this post helpful?
This question has been answered by the doctor. This topic is now open for public discussion, however no comments below this point will be answered by a doctor.
Must Read
Learn the basics about carpal tunnel syndrome here: causes, risk factors and complications....
Are some people born with carpal tunnel? More here on what can cause carpal tunnel syndrome and who is at risk of developing the condition....
Carpal tunnel syndrome is accompanied by very clear signs and symptoms. But how do symptoms change as the syndrome progresses? More info here....
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Carpal Tunnel Syndrome , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.