Medical Questions > Mental Health > ADD and ADHD Forum

suicidal idealizations - Zoloft dosage and usage

In November my 12 year old son was prescribed 75 milligrams of Zoloft. He experienced lack of appetite, nausea, and suicidal idealizations. I contacted his provider and was told to stop giving Zoloft to him. Is this the correct dosage for him? Was I right in stopping the medication? Thanks, Earl Baumann
Did you find this post helpful?
|

replied January 19th, 2015
Well you certainly should not be giving him Zoloft! This is not for children his age unless they are ocd. Really? Three times the dosage that they recommend. I would talk with the doctor that issued it to him. Sometimes they think the more medicine the merrier. Just my 2 cents. Glenda.
|

User Profile
replied July 21st, 2019
Hello and welcome to EHF !

I went through your query and i understand your concern.75 mg is too much of a dose to start with for a 12 yrs old. Your doctor was right in stopping it. Suicidal ideation is a side effect of zoloft. Let them decide how to proceed from there. Your child will need help of a psychologist to control the symptoms.

Take care
|
Quick Reply
Must Read
Attention-deficit hyperactivity disorder (AD/HD) is a neurobiological disorder that can interfere in a person's daily life. Learn more about ADHD basics here....
Have doctors found an exact cause of ADHD? Do biological factors or genes have anything to do with it? More on causes and risks of ADHD development here....
What are the symptoms of ADHD and when do they first present? We outline the principal characteristics of attention deficit hyperactivity disorder to help you...
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our ADD and ADHD , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.