Medical Questions > Nutrition > Nutrition Forum

Sugar helps me lose weight, is this healthy?

I have the type of metabolism that tends to overeat sweets. I have body fat mostly around my waist (>40") and not much over the rest of my body. Based on BMI I am "overweight". I walk 5 miles once a week and bicycle 6 miles once a week, and work out twice a week. I'm in my late 50's. I am aware of many health risks of eating too much sugar. But I find that if I have a sugary dessert or fruit juice after a meal I am full much longer and so it is a lot easier for me to lose weight or avoid gaining weight. This effect only happens with sugar not complex carbohydrates (starchy foods). I am afraid to eat too much sugary foods because it is not healthy, but if I lose weight am I really eating too much? Is it better to be overweight and avoid sugar? I have tried low carb diets, I didn't lose weight, and the side effects are not something I am willing to tolerate. The only way I have lost weight is by restricting calories.

Otherwise I try to eat a balanced healthy diet, vegetables, chicken, fish, a moderate amount of red meat, and complex carbohydrates.

It is the opposite of what one would expect: if I avoid sugar I am soon hungry again and feel like I have low blood sugar: feel weak, shaky, "starving" I can't concentrate, I have to eat immeditely. If I eat sugar I can go for a long time before eating again and when I do get hungry it is not a crisis, I can easily wait a while before I eat again.

My question is: is it okay to have sugary desserts or fruit juice after a meal if it helps me lose weight? Or does the risk from sugar outweigh the risk from being overweight?
Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied July 19th, 2019
Thank you for asking at Ehealth forum!

I read your question and I understand your concern.
Sugars and other refined carbohydrates should be skipped altogether in weight loss programme. You have a sort of craving for sugar which is psychological.
Diabetes mellitus should be ruled out.
I hope it helps. Stay in touch with your healthcare provider for further guidance as our answers are just for education and counselling purposes and cannot be an alternative to actual visit to a doctor.
Take care
Khan

|
Did you find this post helpful?
Must Read
What is the medical definition of obesity? How is obesity different than being overweight. Basic medical facts on obesity here....
We review the simple cause of obesity here, and help you evaluate whether or not you are at risk of becoming obese. ...
Click here for basic signs of weight gain, and information on when to seek medical help if you think that you are becoming overweight....
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Nutrition , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.