Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Hypoglycemia Forum

suddenly felt light-headed and faint

Hello,
I had a strange thing happen last night. I was out for dinner with a friend and upon returning home I suddenly felt light-headed and faint, as though I would pass out any minute. Suddenly a crazy hunger/craving for sugar/carbs came over me and I immediately walked to the corner deli to get cookies (not knowing why- i rarely eat or crave sweets anymore). I bought like 4 packages, felt out of my mind and started having hot flashes and sweating profusely. This didn't let up until I got home and ate lots of cookies and drank lots of water. Afterwards my heart was pounding and I felt really out of it.
I know I have blood sugar issues or have in the past, but I don't recall ever having an episode like this. Anyone have any insight?
Thanks.
Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied January 9th, 2017
Hello and welcome
Your concern is appreciated
What you experienced was an episode of hypoglycemia but its can only be confirmed if the blood sugar level was tested and really to be found low. Heart throbbing sweating profusely light headedness etc all can happen. If the episodes continue then proper investigation should be done as insulin producing tumors can be the cause. Random blood sugar tests fasting blood sugar test etc can be done of you are taking any oral hypoglycemics drugs then it can be the side effect of that drug. Excessive alcohol consumption can also cause it critical illnes like hepatitis and harmone deficiencies are responsible. In some people reactive hypoglycemia can occur just after the meals.

|
Did you find this post helpful?
Tags: Hepatitis
Quick Reply
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Hypoglycemia , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.