Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Kidney Conditions Forum

sudden sharp pain in my lower right side at my hip and...

Must Read
The kidneys filter blood and regulate body flood. What happens during kidney failure? And what types of kidney failure do doctors diagnose?...
There are three main condition which cause renal (kidney) failure. Learn what causes kidney failure and what factors increase your risk of kidney problems....
What are the signs of acute or chronic kidney failure? Which ones are more serious than others? And when should you ask a doctor or go to the ER for help?...
User Profile
I have sudden sharp pain in my lower right side at my hip and traveling down through my leg.This pain left me unable to move.The sharpness then dulls and lingers.Changing my position or shifting my weight do not help.I have never had this type of pain before.I concider myself a healthy person.I dont smoke.I do drink wine often.I do have a tooth infection.My unination is fine.No blood or burning.My bm's are ok but get diaria often. Before this happened this morning I felt sick to my stomach and vomitted.Pain is still there now.

Did you find this post helpful?

User Profile
replied October 19th, 2011
Kidney Conditions Answer A27828
Hello and welcome to e health forum.

The description of your symptoms indicate the possibility of renal stones.

Pain that originates due to renal issues (Stones, infection) is episodic , spasmodic or colicky in ‎nature, ‎originating in the flank and radiating to the lower belly, inner thigh. It is ‎associated with other ‎symptoms like nausea, vomiting and systemic features due to any infection. ‎

Renal pain does not resolve with change in position nor with adequate rest and can even cause ‎sleep ‎disturbances. ‎

Renal colic may not respond to moderate or high doses of OTC pain killers and may need ‎immediate ‎medical attention with IV medications or Narcotic analgesics. ‎

You might consider consulting your doctor or a Urologist for a physical examination and additional ‎evaluation (urine analysis and Ultrasound or a CT scan) ‎and specific treatment. ‎

Did you find this post helpful?
This question has been answered by the doctor. This topic is now open for public discussion, however no comments below this point will be answered by a doctor.
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Kidney Conditions , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.