I had a very sudden sharp pain hit this morning in the lower back[tail bone] area .All I did was barely bend at the waist.It about knocked the wind out of me and I got very dizzy and things started to go black it felt strange.I do have osteoporosis in my back but havnt felt much effects from this yet.I had a lower back injury about 10 years ago in this spot but it hasnt bothered me in years.What could this be if I didnt do any thing strenuous to cause it?
Did you find this post helpful?
|

replied March 4th, 2012
Lower back pain/impingement
Why has nobody replied to this? I also sprained my lower back in a millisecond while dusting a light rug out the window. It felt exactly the same - dizziness, weakness and inability to move for the pain was excruciating. Five hours later it is hard to walk, but I feel better standing straight than lying down, can't sit at all. Any advice?
|

User Profile
replied March 5th, 2012
Especially eHealthy
Ancheto,

If you are not having any neurological symptoms, then you should treat this as musculoskeletal back pain.

If you are having neurological symptoms (numbness, tingling, and/or weakness in the lower extremities, bowel/bladder problems) then you should see a physician.

In terms of treating musculoskeletal back pain, this is usually done by a short period of rest (usually no more than 48 hours or so), followed by gradual mobilization.

Physical therapy is then aimed at strengthen the core muscles, spine flexibility, overall cardiovascular fitness, and weight management (if needed).

If however, you have any concerns, you should contact your physician.

Good luck.
|
Must Read
What structures make up the spine? We review basic spine anatomy here...before identifying potential causes of back pain....
Click here to learn about the most common causes of back pain, and things that increase your risk of backache. We cover lower back pain and upper back pain....
Back pain symptoms may seem obvious. But do you know when symptoms of back pain are more serious or when to see a doctor? Learn what action to take & when...