Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Kidney Conditions Forum

Sudden onset of kidney conditions

User Profile
This pain started a couple of days ago and has gotten to the point where I can't even drive a car without twitching and shifting in the drivers seat. I haven't noticed any blood in the urine.
I'm just petrified it could something other than a kidney stone.
Are there any other kidney disorders that come on so sudden?
Replies would be greatly appreciated

Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied February 7th, 2010
Kidney Conditions Answer A9838
Hi and welcome to the forum! I am glad that I can help you.

You would like to know what other kidney disorder can have sudden development.

Individuals that experience kidney stones may not feel any pain unless the stone starts moving slowly into the ureter. The typical pain that appears in kidney stones is due to the pulsating contractions of the ureter as the organ tries to move the stone down towards the urinary bladder. The pain starts from the waist, continues in front and down towards the genital area.

Kidney stones are usually a perfect area for developing kidney infection. Kidney infections may appear in normal kidney tissue due to spreading of the inflammation from the urinary bladder up to the kidney. In this condition individuals do not experience very strong pain in the waist. To distinguish whether the condition is an infection, laboratory tests and a bacterial culture with antibiogram from a urinary sample is required. Kidney stones and visualized with ultrasound if located in the kidney and a native RTG or intravenous contrast pyelogram if the stone is located in the ureter.

According to the data that you described you are experiencing severe pain. You may consider having laboratory tests and bacterial culture with antibiogram to rule out kidney infection. You may also need to have a native RTG or intravenous contrast pyelogram to rule out kidney stones.

Please keep in mind that I provide medical information only. I am not able to diagnose medical conditions online. Please contact your doctor for further advice and information about diagnosis and treatment options for your current condition.

|
Did you find this post helpful?
Must Read
The kidneys filter blood and regulate body flood. What happens during kidney failure? And what types of kidney failure do doctors diagnose?...
There are three main condition which cause renal (kidney) failure. Learn what causes kidney failure and what factors increase your risk of kidney problems....
What are the signs of acute or chronic kidney failure? Which ones are more serious than others? And when should you ask a doctor or go to the ER for help?...
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Kidney Conditions , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.