Medical Questions > Parenting > Infants Forum

Sudden loss of balance

Must Read
A definition of the medical practice of infant male circumcision....
Is circumcision required for male babies? Why are boys circumcised? A quick review of the medical benefits of circumcision here. ...
What happens during a routine circumcision for a male child? Read more about this common procedure....
Hi,

My grandson 12 months old has started walking in the last 3 weeks. He came on very quickly to walking everywhere, climbing and standing on toys. When he fell he just got right back up again. Since yesterday he seems to have lost his balance somewhat. He takes two steps then falls, tries to get up and cannot manage it as well and then it frustrates him and he cries. He crawls with no problem. He has started with a little bit of a cold over the past two days. He is not lethargic, sleepy or disinterested in fact he is his normal bright self.
What do you think could have happened? Thankyou in advance for your reply.
Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied March 17th, 2009
Community Volunteer
If he has a cold, it is possible that the fluid in his ears is upsetting his balance. You might want to take him to the doctor to see if he has a possible ear infection.

Otherwise, it could just be that he is very tired and you don't realize it. Sometimes my kids don't look tired, but there are smaller things that I don't notice that should clue me in to their fatigue. Normally babies who are walking well one day can be so worn out with activity that they want to keep going because it is still exciting, but get frustrated with themselves. After they have been walking well, babies can usually get back up when they fall down no problem and won't cry. I don't think this is any reason for concern. Make sure he is getting adequate rest.

He could also be going through the clinging stage and want to be held a little more. I found that once my babies start to walk on their own and gain a lot of independence that way, they realize they are getting a little farther away from mom and need that extra cuddling time.
|

replied May 18th, 2009
INTRUTED TEETH AFTER A FALL
My 20 month old fell at a play area 5 days ago he hit his mouth and caused the intrusion of two teeth since that has been very unsteady on his feet and is losing balance. could this type of injury have caused a nuroligical neck or spinal injury also.
|

replied February 18th, 2010
1 yr old sudden loss of walking ability
Hi carolgons, how did everything work out with your grandson? My daughter had the exact same story - exact - she started fully walking 3 wks ago- and now falls and is just crawling in frustration. She's having a brain MRI tomorrow and has to go under general anesthesia which is of course concerning. But contrary to what the response above was, our ped has said this is not normal behavior and without any signs of illness... we have to investigate the possibility of brain swelling. If you have any advice, please let me know. Many thx!
|

replied February 27th, 2010
Dear 2502livi...how did your daughter's MRI turn out. I have something similar going on with my 15 month old. He has no ear infection or other symptoms...not sure if I should have him checked out.
|

replied July 21st, 2010
14 month loses his balance
Our 14 month old boy was ill, we think with teething issues for 4 days and had tempratures from 38C to 39.5 at worst. He has recovered from the illness/teething however his balance is noticable off. We will be taking him to our pead tomorrow to get a proffesional opinion. Thanks all for your postings.
|

replied April 17th, 2011
what did the Doctor say?
|

replied April 17th, 2011
same issue in need of advise.
How come not a single person has replied on how the results went for their children? We are now having the same issue with our 14 month old daughter. She has a fever for a few days now her balance is off. Please help!

she has seen her family doctor and emergency clinic and we still don't have a clue why her balance is lost.
|

replied July 24th, 2011
14 mo boy, ear infection, lost balance
hello,

My 14 month old boy had a 101* F fever Wednesday nite thru Thrusday nite. It gradually went down. By the time we made it to the doc on Friday, his temp was normal. He did have a minor ear infection in his left ear and was put on oral meds for five days. It is now Sunday morning. The fever is gone, he does not act sick (never did- even with the fever), but has been having the worst time walking and even standing. I figured that the whole ear infection thing was throwing off his equilibrium. I do not know what to do except to hang in there til the mes are gone and see if his balance is restored. If not, maybe I'll take him in for a closer look. Sad tho that my doc is the kind that never thinks anything major is wrong and I am afraid he might blow us off. SO FOR THE EAR INFECTION PPL WITH BALANCE ISSUES, PLEASE LET ME KNOW WHAT HAPPENED!!!! I do not want to be a crazy mother, but I want to help my son!! Pray that it is just the ear infection!!! Thanks
|

replied October 1st, 2011
Ok same story with my son he is 11 months and 1 week, he started to walk three weeks ago so now his balance is off. he walks a few steps then sits on his bottom. The problem I had was that I still breastfeed him, I came down with a fever, some chills and a plugged duct and took some Advils. I continued to breast feed this whole week. And this is when it started. So now im not sure if it was a breast infection that caused my baby to be off balance or the Advils pills. I wondering if there is any kind of conection??
|

replied May 10th, 2012
My daughter has same issues 4 times and is currently struggling with balance again. Started at 6 mo. then again at 9, 12, 16 and currently 22. She is otherwise super healthy and happy. She has had ear infections or fluid in inner ear each time and is simultaneously teething. We took her to neurologist, who checked her out and said all is well. Ear infection + teething = extreme dizziness, loss of appetite & lethargy. Antibiotics have cleared it up but we are considering tubes after latest bout.
|

replied December 18th, 2013
12 month old off balance & falling
My granddaughter started walking at 10 months and we have noticed she is falling more, when her mother was changing her diaper yesterday she noticed a knot about the size of an olive on her private area, what could this be and could it be causing her to be off balance? Always told her ears look clear no ear infections but she is always pulling at her ears now this knot
|

replied June 20th, 2014
basically my son is same as above hes started walking about a month and half ago he is now 12 months then he got an ear infection, his balance since is not the same he is forever falling over and got a few bumps and bruises to go with it.I had his at docs yesterday to check his ears out again and there fine but he is teething so thinking his balance loss is to do with that but i am very worried am i just been a daft/over protected mum?
|

replied August 2nd, 2014
Sudden loss of balance in 20 month old.
hello my daughter is 20 months old. suddenly lost balance throughout the day then by evening she lost head control. with a trip to the ER a ct scan was done with blood work. Everything normal. The next day it got to where she couldn't hold herself up steady or walk at all. She got admitted to Childrens' hospital and a had tick blood test along with more blood work. Urine and an MRI with and without contrast. THey found nothing. As the evening and night came on day 2 and 3 she began to get better. She was discharged with the hope that it corrects itself. Maybe a virus or cold that i didn't know about,,which she hasn't been sick since 11 months with a cold only. No signs of sickness either. So they were very puzzled. Maybe also she injested something and it was running its course. But they seen nothing in the urine or blood. So were home and its day 4 and she still woke up weak but got better throughout the day. She still happy and very normal besides her balance now. Answered prayer? I think so. But if its something else Im curious if we missed a test or something.
|

replied November 9th, 2014
My daughter is 13 month old and as been wollble and falling down the last 3 days my husband thinks its a ear infection so going to the doctors tomorrow
|

replied September 11th, 2015
My 2 year old walks, runs but sometimes suddenly falls on her left knee and and being unable to balance hits her forehead on the floor. This has happened many a times, also that sometimes her left leg get cramps and she finds it difficult to stand on her feet. We have been noticing this since a month. Her doctor says she is weak....and that may be the reason....Please guide me what is it...and how to help her out..
|

replied February 25th, 2016
What we did for this
Same thing here...18 month old had a fever that started the night beofre...the next morning he was walking like he was drunk....after getting annoyed with this site with every asking...now one answering... we took our son to the doctor they thought it was going to be an ear infection...turned out to be the flu, they also ran blood tests

If your little one is sick and seems off balance you are not imagining it...but you should take them to the doctor.

That was my situation..since NO ONE RESPONDED to this thread with what they did..I will

Dont panic but take them to a doctor asap!!!
Hope this calms your nerves Smile
|

replied December 31st, 2016
Same same situation like many of u. My 12 months old daughter started walking almost running a month back n now since 3 days she had got fever n also she is teething, she has no fever but today she is often falling down. I mean wenever she stands, she falls. She starts crying then really bad. 2 weeks back i had a doubt of her having ear infection so took her to ent but He said,there is nothing like infection. But now i feelHe was wrong. Tomorrow is sunday. Will have to wait till monday to c a ped. Plz reply if anyone of u got the resolution.. any words of comfort will b of great help. Thankyou everyone.
|
Quick Reply