User Profile
I am 53yrs old,today when i was climbing stairs,suddenly my both legs became weak,i cudnt stand,but it lasted a few seconds,less than a minute.later i became normal,this is the 1st time..what could be the reason

Did you find this post helpful?

User Profile
replied March 31st, 2013
Vascular and Circulatory Disorders Answer A42854
Hello and welcome to e health forum.

From the description, it seems that you may have had a episode of Transient Ischemic attack.

A transient ischemic attack (TIA) is an episode in which a person has stroke -like symptoms for up to 1-2 hours.

Symptoms begin suddenly, last only a short time (from a few minutes to 1 to 2 hours), and disappear completely. Symptoms usually occur on the same side of the body if more than one body part is involved.

A TIA is different than a stroke. However, the symptoms of TIA are the same as a stroke and include the sudden development of:

1. Muscle weakness of the face, arm, or leg (usually only on one side of the body)

2. Numbness or tingling on one side of the body

3. Trouble speaking or understanding others who are speaking

4. Problems with eyesight (double vision, loss of all or part of vision)

5. Changes in sensation, involving touch, pain, temperature, pressure, hearing, and taste

6. Change in alertness (sleepiness, less responsive, unconscious, or coma)

7. Personality, mood, or emotional changes

8. Confusion or loss of memory

9. Difficulty swallowing

10. Difficulty writing or reading

11. Lack of coordination and balance, clumsiness, or trouble walking

12. Abnormal sensation of movement (vertigo) or dizziness

13. Lack of control over the bladder or bowels

14. Inability to recognize or identify sensory stimuli (agnosia)

Though your symptoms have subsided, it is highly recommended for you to consult your doctor again and get proper investigations including a vascular doppler ultrasound tests to diagnose any blockage in your blood vessels to your brain. Conditions like high blood pressure, high cholesterol, etc should also be adequately treated and brought under control.

I hope this helps.

Did you find this post helpful?
This question has been answered by the doctor. This topic is now open for public discussion, however no comments below this point will be answered by a doctor.
Quick Reply
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Vascular and Circulatory Disorders , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.