The other day while I was working out, I stopped to take a breather after my first set and when I did my hearing started to diminish. It was not accompanied by a ringing sound or anything like that, it simply became more and more muffled over the course of about 15 to 30 seconds until I could barely hear anything at all. My body felt slightly numb but not overly so while this was happening. The whole event lasted about 5 minutes and then my hearing returned. Suffice it to say I suspended my workout routine, I spent the rest of the day feeling somewhat groggy and I had a mild headache.

Does anyone have any idea what this might have been? It’s the first time anything like this has happened and I’m reluctant to resume my workout routine until I’m sure everything is ok.
Did you find this post helpful?
|

replied February 4th, 2009
Hearing loss during workout
I have also had this problem. It happens every time I work out. Once my heart rate gets up I start to notice my hearing becomes "muffled" like I have soup cans over my ears. I can hear my own breathing inside my head. If I bend over (with my head lower than my heart) my hearing starts to return to normal but it gets muffled again when I stand. About an hour after my workout, it returns.

Today however, I had a tingling sensation in my arms and legs and felt slightly nauseous. I cut my workout short and came home after resting for a few minutes to get rid of the "gonna puke" feeling.

I am 39 yrs old, 72" tall and 195 lbs. I am in decent shape and I work out regularly. Until today it was just annoying but with the numb feeling and nausea, I am starting to get concerned.

If anyone knows what is causing this please post.
|

replied February 4th, 2009
Reply to my own post
listen to my iPod on a heart pumping volume level when I work out. I don't know if you are working out in a class (with music playing loud) or not but loud noise may be the cause for imbalance. I am going to try the gym without the headphones and see if I have different results.
|

replied November 17th, 2009
muffled hearing when i work out
I have the same problem. It is very annoying and i am starting to get concerned. my muffled hearing doesn't go away for about 30 min. does anyone have an answer to this problem!!!???
|

replied November 23rd, 2010
Hearing loss after workouts..
I also expierence these same symptoms after workouts... I am however over weight... I am 6'0" about 285. I am muscular but have a spare tire... It is odd when I bend over the hearing comes back as well.. And only after my heart beat is up for a little while...
|
Must Read
Do you know the three main reasons we cough? Learn common causes of cough and when coughing might indicate a more serious health problem....
Coughing is normal. But what can cause more troublesome coughs? Learn more about possible causes of cough here....
When should you see a doctor about cough symptoms? When are symptoms a sign of further complications? Learn about cough symptoms basics here....