User Profile
I have been getting sudden flushes in my head, sometimes tightness and electricity feelings as well. I get dizzy at times almost as if I put on a pair of strong glasses. What could this possibly be? I am 46 and got my period 14 days last month and had what I can only describe as water vision in he corners of my eyes. Spent 3 days in bed just unable to stay straight up for long periods of time

Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied May 30th, 2010
Headache and Migraines Answer A12649
Hi, welcome to the ehealth forum and I am glad to help you.
You seem concerned by the sudden flushes in head with feeling of dizziness at times. You have also mentioned that you are 46 and had your menstrual period for 14 days during the last cycle.
With the information that you have given, it appears that you might be having symptoms of early menopause. Sudden hot flashes are a very common symptom of menopause. During the early stages of menopause, you may find that you're getting more and worse headaches. This is often caused by your dropping estrogen levels. Dizziness is a transient spinning sensation and/or a feeling of lightheadedness or unsteadiness and might be seen in early menopause. The heavy period that you experienced in your last menstrual cycle might be the beginning of irregular periods. A lack of hormonal balance or a decrease in estrogen production is the main cause of it. There can be medical causes for irregular periods as well, they aren't as common though. Fatigue, one of the most common menopause symptoms, is defined as an ongoing and persistent feeling of weakness, tiredness, and lowered energy level.
You must consult your gynaecologist for definitive diagnosis as the same is not possible online.
Hope this helps. Take care.
Note: This answer is not intended as and does not substitute for medical advice - the information presented is for patient education only. Please see your personal physician for further evaluation of your individual case.

|
Did you find this post helpful?
This question has been answered by the doctor. This topic is now open for public discussion, however no comments below this point will be answered by a doctor.
Must Read
How can you tell if a headache is serious, or not? What types of headaches are there? Get started learning the facts about headache here....
Do you know when to seek help for headache symptoms? Learn more about symptoms of the four different types of headaches...and when to go to a doctor here....
Headaches can be caused by various medical conditions. Learn which tests doctors use to diagnose problem headaches...and who you should see to start diagnosis....
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Headache and Migraines , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.