Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Brain and Head Injuries Forum

Subarachnoid Hemorrhage she cannot be left alone.

Subrachnoid hemmorrhage: 45 years ago my mother suffered 3 SH's in the center of the brain. The only thing that could be done was spinal taps to drain the fluid from her brain. She was in a coma for the months bed ridden for a year. Many years later she still has no short term mem and cannot be left alone. My question now is that she now is waking up 1 to 4 times a week, middle of the night and flips the bdroom light on and starts yelling at my Dad saying he is a drug addict, etc. He has never once had any addictions problems. He has remained by my mothers side for 52 years, 45 of which have been being her backbone. A doctor put her on zoloft some months ago. If I had to sum it up as to how things have been I could say if you read the first signs of dementia, that is what we have lived in for the many, many years I can remember. Now her actions or odd. She is fine and just mom thru the day but my dad doesn't know what nightfall will bring. Concerned daughter with no answers.
Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied July 13th, 2011
Especially eHealthy
atmywitsend,

It is well known that Zoloft can cause psychiatric side effects. You might want to speak with her physician, to see if he/she can stop the Zoloft, or change it to another medicine.

Zoloft side effects may also include mental or emotional symptoms such as:

Abnormal dreams or thoughts, aggressiveness, exaggerated feeling of well-being, depersonalization (unreal feeling), hallucinations, impaired concentration, memory loss, paranoia, rapid mood shifts, thoughts of harming yourself, tooth grinding, and worsening depression.

In a few people, Zoloft side effects may also trigger manic or hypomanic states which include sensations of high energy, lack of need for sleep, grandiose thoughts and feelings and generally inappropriate and out-of-control behavior.

Hope your mother is doing better soon. Good luck.
|
Did you find this post helpful?
Must Read
How can you tell if a headache is serious, or not? What types of headaches are there? Get started learning the facts about headache here....
Do you know when to seek help for headache symptoms? Learn more about symptoms of the four different types of headaches...and when to go to a doctor here....
Headaches can be caused by various medical conditions. Learn which tests doctors use to diagnose problem headaches...and who you should see to start diagnosis....