Medical Questions > Debate Forums > Abortion Debate Forum

Study find no evidence for foetal pain before 24 weeks

THe Royal College of Obstetricians and Gynecologists has concluded that there is no evidence that a fetus feels pain before 24 weeks.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/health/10403496 .stm

"The Royal College of Obstetricians and Gynaecologists' review said foetuses are 'undeveloped and sedated'.

"Brain connections are not fully formed, and the environment of the womb creates a state of induced sleep, like unconsciousness, they add."
Did you find this post helpful?
|

replied July 1st, 2010
Extremely eHealthy
I read this the other day.

Just wondering how long before the PLers decided to use the inappropriate (i.e. totally missing the point) "comparisons" of 'when you're in a coma you don't feel pain, should we just kill everyone in a coma' or 'you don't feel pain under anaesthetic, does that mean people under anaesthetic don't have a right to life'
|

User Profile
replied July 1st, 2010
Experienced User
Moo wrote:
I read this the other day.

Just wondering how long before the PLers decided to use the inappropriate (i.e. totally missing the point) "comparisons" of 'when you're in a coma you don't feel pain, should we just kill everyone in a coma' or 'you don't feel pain under anaesthetic, does that mean people under anaesthetic don't have a right to life'

Actually, I think that most permanently comatose patients should be humanely killed. I really think that health care resources would be better spent taking care of children and young adults who can't get decent treatment as it is. If someone wants to keep their spouse/child/sister preserved like some grotesque living statue, they should have to do it on their own dime and not be able to demand that insurance companies or the government spend hundreds of thousands of dollars per person just to cling to a few more months or years of sleep.

I know I'll probably be flamed for saying this but if there's not enough to go around - and clearly there isn't - then hard prioritizing must be done. Don't get mad at me because I think some ghetto child with a bad liver deserves more attention and funding than some middle class vegetable who will never even wake up again.
|
Users who thank DamianaRaven for this post: Moo