Medical Questions > Lifestyle > Fitness Forum

Stuck in exercise rut

Hello. I'm 21, 5'3 and 127 pounds. I was about 134 in january, but my roomie and I started going to the gym for an hour every monday, wednesday, friday, and usually both weekend days, so I've been working out 3-5 times a week for almost 3 months...and I've lost 7 pounds...I don't see where I've lost any weight on my body..but the scale says I have..and my boyfriend thinks I have. I usually get on the elliptical for 30-40 mins, or I run/walk for 30-40 mintues, I usually burn 300-400 calories each time I'm at the gym. Then I do about 100 crunches, and I do some crunches and ab stuff in my room on days that I don't go to the gym. I'm in college, so I don't have time to go to the gym everyday, but we also walk on Tuesdays and Thursday since they are off gym days. But anyway..I seem to be stuck in a rut..I have been at 127 pounds for about a month or more...and I don't know what to do. My diet is not bad either...I eat oatmeal or cereal for breakfast, I eat lunch (either a sandwich or something from the dining hall at school, but I get veggies and stuff too, so I don't eat horribly for lunch), and then dinner varies (hamburger helper, tacos, stir-fry, chicken). I drink water all day except at dinner, I let myself have 1 fun drink a day (it's usually apple juice and I always have it with dinner). I occasionally have a snack at night too, because we eat dinner so early (usually 5:30). But my snacks are usually healthy (pretzels, crackers, wheatables). I don't know how much more I can do to change my diet. My boyfriend said my body is probably "happy" at it's weight, where I'm consuming and burning the same amount of calories. I'm worried about the summer though...since I'll be going home...but I go to the gym for kickboxing and body pump mon-thurs nights, so that's good. Oh and I've also noticed when I'm on the elliptical my heart rate doesn't get very high anymore...it used to get up to like 150-160 when I first started working out...but now with the same routine...it is between 120-130. Do I need to do more vigorous exercise to get my heart rate up or what. HELP!!! Thanks!
Did you find this post helpful?
|

replied May 2nd, 2008
Supporter
Change up your diet first....
5 meals a day

3-5 oz of protein in every meal(chicken,fish,lean beef)
5-7oz of carbs in meal 1,3,4 (sweetpotato,brown rice only)
use olive oil to cook

get rid of juices and fruits except for banana before or after you workout

5th meal should be 1-2 hrs before bed and protein ONLY or shake.

Woking out.....
Upper/lower split high intensity and 20-40 min LOW intesnity (HR130-140) cardio ED

Try tha if you need more help PM me.
|

replied May 3rd, 2008
Experienced User
Well. starting last sunday I started alternating resistance on the elliptical. I do 2 mins on number 1, and 2 mins on number 5, and I've burned about 50-100 more calories in my 40 mins of being on it. And I am now down to 123 pounds. It is probably water weight since I sweat a lot too now, but I doubt all of it is water weight...because that would be 4 pounds of water weight in one week lol. Oh and why are fruits not good for you, I thought fruit was a good thing to eat.
|

replied May 3rd, 2008
Supporter
fruits are simple sugars and when not burned off they tuirn right to body fat!
|

User Profile
replied May 11th, 2008
Active User, very eHealthy
Adding on to DPGfitness, he didn't mean that fruits aren't a good thing to eat, trying to take away the knowledge that we gain from our parents since we were wee little about fruits and veggies being good for you. It is just the way in which your body processes carbohydrates. Simple and complex carbs are absorbed in different ways, complex carbs should be the majority of your carb intake even in general, not just for this goal you are trying to reach. Simple carbohydrates are absorbed quickly, which is good when you need to use energy now or asap, but as he said if it isn't used... Sweet potato has a high source in complex carbohydrates, which is why he suggested that.

I don't quite know 100% why he said bananas, but my guess is for the electrolyte potassium balance. An imbalance in your sodium/potassium content (which is very vital to cells) can cause cramping and a bunch of other things. But if you are going to eat that banana, this would be hard to manage, but if you are trying to take it to ensure you won't have any issues when you work out, you'd have to eat it about 2ish hours before you start exercising because it isn't as if your body would absorb the potassium right then and there as soon as you take a bite.

Sports drinks, or other electrolytic drinks, are not necessary unless you are doing intensive exercise for at least an hour. Your body generally has enough and won't need replenishment for anything under that time unless you have poor electrolyte imbalance from the start.

EDIT: Right, I forgot to mention this. You should continue to find ways to alter your work outs, it is a necessity for people continuing to work out long term. Adjusting settings on the machines you are using as you stated in your last post is one method, but I encourage you to go further on as time goes by. We truly do not know just how great our body is, and how little we know about it. Remember, or learn, that your body is a highly efficient machine that adapts to pretty much any changes given enough time and considering that you don't die as a result of the change. Within a few months, if you generally do the same work outs, your body undergoes what is known as habituation, which generally means the diminishing of a response to a induced stimuli as time goes on. To say this bluntly and for the sake of making things easier to understand, your body is your goal's enemy in this case, because as time goes on, and it gets used to the work out, your body will attempt to produce as little energy expenditure as possible. Meaning that during the beginning of your training days, your body isn't used to/capable of handling the task at hand and uses up a lot more calories, but once it gets a hold of things, I guess you can say it tries to give exact change (for the energy requirement). It sucks in this case, but I always say that your body was suited and made to survive to any situations you may experience in your life time, not look good for the summer.

Hope I provided some useful info, good luck!
|

replied May 11th, 2008
Supporter
great points to add
|
Must Read
What is the medical definition of obesity? How is obesity different than being overweight. Basic medical facts on obesity here....
We review the simple cause of obesity here, and help you evaluate whether or not you are at risk of becoming obese. ...
Click here for basic signs of weight gain, and information on when to seek medical help if you think that you are becoming overweight....