Medical Questions > Mental Health > Mental Conditions Forum

struggling with how I'm feeling and the voices

User Profile
Hi, this is not so much a question as a cry for help.
I'm struggling, and I mean struggling, with how I'm feeling and the voices in my head. I'm constantly thinking and scrutinizing life (not my life, but the origin of life, death, life after death, if this is all real, if this has a point, and other devastating questions). I recently had sleep paralysis, and I believe it sparked a phobia of dying. I used to be super calm about it and didn't worry about it at all. Now I spend all day thinking about it. not about how it will happen, but it happening to my family, or myself, and if that's the end of that.

On top of that, I don't feel like anything is real anyway. this is worse than fearing death, because I feel like i'm experiencing hell. Typing this out is the most real i can get. I've found out I have depersonalization as well as derealization. I don't know what I can do about this, and if life is worth anything.. feels pointless (but too terrified to kill myself).

Did you find this post helpful?
First Helper neel5
|

User Profile
replied August 3rd, 2011
Mental Conditions Answer A25696
Hello,
Welcome to the ehealthforum and I am really glad to help you out.

The symptoms of hearing voices are called auditory hallucinations. It is a form of hallucination that involves perceiving sounds without true auditory stimulus. The two most common causes are schizophrenia and mania.

Schizophrenia is also called split personality and in this there are abnormalities in the perception or expression of reality. Treatment consists of antipsychotic medicines, cognitive behavior therapy and psychotherapy.

Mania is usually associated with bipolar disease and hallucinations are an important aspect. Treatment usually consists of the mood stabilizing drug-lithium, anticonvulsants, antipsychotic drugs and benzodiazepines.

In both these conditions, treatment is lifelong and relapses are common after discontinuation of the medicines. So it is important that you consult a good psychiatrist and start with the treatment so that worsening of symptoms does not occur.

I sincerely hope that helps. Take care.

|
Did you find this post helpful?
This question has been answered by the doctor. This topic is now open for public discussion, however no comments below this point will be answered by a doctor.
Must Read
Stress is a natural response to life. But when does stress begin to cause health problems? Basics on stress and the stress response here....
What are the most common signs of stress? To learn which symptoms of acute, episodic and chronic stress can develop into more serious problems, start here....
Stress can trigger chronic illness. Learn how doctors test for stress and what to expect during an office visit in this section on how to diagnose stress....
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Mental Conditions , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.