Hello,
My 89 year old grand mother, residing in India, has recently suffered a hemorrhagic brain stroke. She lives at home, but stays on a bed for the whole day as she does not have much control. When we talk to her she cannot respond and tears leak out of her eyes. She can now unconsciously move her legs and her right wrist. When we bring a glass (she only takes liquids) near her mouth she opens her eyes and her mouth a little so we can pour some into her mouth. Every morning a nurse comes to clean and groom her and sanitize the area. A physiotherapist also visits to help her gain body function. He says that it would take 3 years for her to recover with the options available in India, but perhaps treatments available in other parts of the world may shorten her recovery time to 1 year. It is difficult to see her suffer. Are there any options or ideas that would enhance her recovery and suit her age? Any help would be greatly appreciated!
Thanks!
Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied June 25th, 2013
Hi,

Welcome to the ehealthforum and I am really glad to help you out.

I can understand your concern but at such a stage, rehabilitiation by a combined effort from a neuologist, physiotherapist and a speech therapist will help. Her doctor will recommend the most rigorous therapy program she can handle based on age, overall health and her degree of disability from the stroke.

I sincerely hope that helps. Take care.

|
Did you find this post helpful?
Must Read
What happens during a stroke? What increases your chances of having a stroke? Stroke basics and info on the two types of stroke here....
Strokes can happen with virtually no warning signs. Learn the symptoms of stroke so that you can take immediate action in case of emergency....
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Stroke , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.