User Profile
Hi,
When I was 24, I had an acute onset of major cognitive issues; I can only describe it as a drunk, brain damaged type feeling affecting mainly cognition, and accompanied by extreme fatigue. The only incident close to this time was a bout of terrible constipation, and I recall pushing very very very hard to expel possibly a few nights is a row. I do not recall any sudden headache or the like, but soon after ( I don’t remember how soon exactly) these symptoms began. I had a normal MRI w and wo contrast about 5 yeas later that came back totally normal. Cognative symptoms have improved slowly over past 15 years, but I am still not 100%. Is it possible I caused some kind of stroke from pushing so hard? Is this very unlikely?
Thanks

Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied October 6th, 2018
Stroke Answer A64434
Thank you for asking at Ehealth forum!

I read your question and I understand your concern.
Its very unlikely to have stroke with normal MRI.
You might have suffered from psychiatric illness.
I would suggest you to have thyroid function tests and 24 hour urinary copper to rule out metabolic causes.
I hope it helps. Stay in touch with your healthcare provider for further guidance as our answers are just for education and counselling purposes and cannot be an alternative to actual visit to a doctor.
Take care
Khan

|
Did you find this post helpful?
Quick Reply
Must Read
What happens during a stroke? What increases your chances of having a stroke? Stroke basics and info on the two types of stroke here....
Strokes can happen with virtually no warning signs. Learn the symptoms of stroke so that you can take immediate action in case of emergency....
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Stroke , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.