User Profile
Hello Dr.. My mother who is 87 yrs old had an ischemic stroke, and now her brain damaged from it. She had the stroke 6 mo. ago.and had physical /occupational rehab for about 3 mo. but with no success. She doesn't want a stem cell procedure either. Now she isn't receiving any rehab either, since the insurance only pays for a certain amount of therapy unfortunately. I'd now like to know, if continued physical/occupational therapy would give her at least a little recover, and how long must she do this for? Any other solutions for her brain to function normally again??

Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied July 5th, 2018
Stroke Answer A64133
Thank you for asking at Ehealth forum!

I read your question and I understand your concern.
Once brain cells become dead then there is no regeneration. There is no other solution apart from stem cell transplant,which is not much successful 60 years of age. I would suggest you to continue physical/occupational therapy as long as she is alive.
I hope it helps. Stay in touch with your healthcare provider for further guidance as our answers are just for education and counselling purposes and cannot be an alternative to actual visit to a doctor.
Take care
Khan

|
Did you find this post helpful?
Must Read
What happens during a stroke? What increases your chances of having a stroke? Stroke basics and info on the two types of stroke here....
Strokes can happen with virtually no warning signs. Learn the symptoms of stroke so that you can take immediate action in case of emergency....
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Stroke , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.