User Profile
I'd like to know if there are any cures for brain damage which happened to my mother who is 87 yrs old, resulting from an ischemic stroke that she had almost 7 months ago. If there are ones that aren't risky to be done for an elderly woman, that would be great to know. Thank you.

Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied June 26th, 2018
Stroke Answer A64088
Hello and welcome,

I appreciate your concern,

The already done brain damage due to ischemic stroke is hardly cured by anything,specially in elderly.The first few weeks after a stroke are the most important for recovery,after that it's much difficult.

There are some options for brain healing like stem cell implantation in the brain,oxygen rich air etc but at such an age stroke rehabilitation would be a good idea in my opinion.Although the severity and extent of the lesion and thus the ability to regain lost functions vary in each case.

I hope this is helpful,

Wishing your mom the best of health.

|
Did you find this post helpful?
Tags: Stroke, Recovery
Quick Reply
Must Read
What happens during a stroke? What increases your chances of having a stroke? Stroke basics and info on the two types of stroke here....
Strokes can happen with virtually no warning signs. Learn the symptoms of stroke so that you can take immediate action in case of emergency....
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Stroke , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.