Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Ear, Nose and Throat Disorders Forum

Strep Throat getting worse on antibiotics?

I went to my dr almost a month ago with a sore throat, swollen tonsils and white spots on the back of my throat. I knew I had strep because I have had it several times in the past. Quick strep rest came back negative, but they did a throat culture and bloodwork and gave me a z-pack.

Later that week they called and said the throat culture came back positive for strep and to stop the z-pack and start amoxicillin. They also said my white blood cell count was high and to schedule a follow up two weeks later for recheck because its probably due to infection.

The week after I started the amoxicillin the symptoms were back but worse than before. They called me in a new antibiotic, augmentin. Three days after taking it I had an allergic reaction in the form of a rash all over my body.

I called my dr office again and they said to stop taking it. I told them that I didn't have any strep symptoms anymore so they said I should just come in for my follow up appt that was set for a week and a half later.

I went to my follow up feeling fine. They did another round of bloodwork and another throat culture. My bloodwork came back fine, but they called me 4 days later and said the throat culture shows I still had strep even though I have no symptoms.

They prescribed me another antibiotic to take and I am on my 5th day. Today I woke up with swollen tonsils and white spots on my throat again.

Should I call my dr again or finish the antibiotics before calling? I did not have any symptoms before I started the new antibiotic again and now they are getting worse halfway through my latest treatment.
Did you find this post helpful?
|

replied December 12th, 2012
Volunteer
You may want to have your Dr. check for mononucleosis. Very often, when people who have mono take an antibiotic like Augmentin, they will break out in a rash like you did. That's how we found out two of my kids had mono! Good Luck!
|
Did you find this post helpful?
Must Read
Do you know the three main reasons we cough? Learn common causes of cough and when coughing might indicate a more serious health problem....
Coughing is normal. But what can cause more troublesome coughs? Learn more about possible causes of cough here....
When should you see a doctor about cough symptoms? When are symptoms a sign of further complications? Learn about cough symptoms basics here....