Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Acid Reflux Forum

Strange exercised-induced symptoms

Hello,
1.5 years ago, when I just turned 28, I started to feel this "full" feeling in my stomach and a burning feeling in my throat in the morning. It's very uncomfortable and sometimes gives me a headache by the afternoon. I went to the doctor who thought it might be heartburn so he prescribed a medication for that and advised me to track what I ate and when I felt the symptoms. I didn't take the meds because I don't think it's heartburn. Since then I have tried everything- experimenting by cutting out certain foods, coffee, drinking less water, more water, everything. I am stumped. It has driven me crazy, since some days I have the symptoms and some days I don't. I eat very healthy- low amounts of flour, sugar, dairy, wheat. I have exercised every day for the last 6 years- a combination of cardio and strength training. Over the last 2 years I've toned down the intensity alot- just getting older, body aches more. I really enjoy getting my heart rate up, even if just for a short time, and sweating to feel like I've had a good workout. It is hard for me to skip working out or do something leisurely. When I decided to take a break from working out recently and just walked instead, I was symptom free. I have continued to be symptom free. So my question to you all is:
What is this I am experiencing? Is it something to do with cortisol?
I have PCOS (Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome), and I experience insulin resistance, which has gotten worse over the last few years. I wonder if it has anything to do with that. I am a 29 year old female, 4'11 and 127 lbs. My BMI is 25.
Why would exercise make me feel this way?
Should I visit my doctor for more help? Tests?
I can't imagine not being able to get my heart rate up above 120 bpm or so. I prefer the 150bpm range. If I can't do anything about the symptoms, I may just continue to work out the way I want anyway, at least I'll know what's causing it.
I have searched and searched for others who experience this and have not found one. Has anyone else experienced this?
Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied December 22nd, 2018
Hello and welcome to ehealth forum,I have read your query and would like to help

What you experienced few years back can be due to acid reflux for which you can do variety of things like changing your eating habits and life style.
You can try to sleeping with your head elevated , eating atleast 1 hour before you sleep , and avoiding foods that might precipitate your reflux symptoms such as tea , coke , alcohol , chocolates etc and quit smoking if you do.

Now coming to your 2nd question regarding exercise.
Try not to stress your body out , do whatever you can tolerate and slowly buildup your stamina.
Your target heart rate should be between 100-170bpm

If you can’t maintain your routine and losing interest in what you used to enjoy it’s better to get an appointment with your physician as it can be due to messed up
cortisol

I hope it helps. Stay in touch with your healthcare provider for further guidance as our answers are just for education and counselling purposes and cannot be an alternative to actual visit to a doctor.
Take care
Dr Khalil
|
Did you find this post helpful?
Must Read
Almost everyone experience heartburn or acid indigestion at times. But what is acid reflux and how could it cause more serious problems?...
Can you tell the difference between common heartburn symptoms and signs of more serious digestive problems? Learn when and how to take action for acid reflux....
Heartburn is common, but it is not trivial. It's important to diagnose and treat heartburn or acid reflux as early as possible. Review diagnostic procedure now...
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Acid Reflux , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.