Medical Questions > Mental Health > Mental Conditions Forum

Strange episode with excruciating headache

Earlier tonight, my boyfriend had a very strange episode that is unlike anything I've ever seen and opinions would be greatly appreciated. After having a few drinks (around 3) at a family gathering, he seemed to be far more intoxicated than he should be after 3 drinks. Normally, if he drinks heavily, it takes a lot more to get him to the point where he was at. At first, he was having extreme irritability. Then after about 30 minutes of frustration and anger over something not working, he mentioned he was very nauseous, but fell asleep shortly after that statement (approximately 45-60 minutes after his last drink). He woke up very startled after only 15 minutes and I thought he was going to be sick. He proceeded to get into a crouching position as he stared at his hands. He said that he felt like there was blood everywhere and then ran to the bathroom. He did not get sick, but he said his head was in excruciating pain (like it was in a vice). He also said that every time he inhaled, it felt like he was inhaling pepper spray. Additionally, he kept talking to himself when I wasn't in the room saying things like, "I'm going to die....just let me die...what is going on with me?" He admitted that he was hallucinating (ie. the blood on his hands) and confessed that he didn't know what was wrong and that he almost felt like he was going crazy...like he was "detached from reality." He was insistent that he had no more to drink than the three he had throughout the night, nor were any drugs taken (he's never even tried drugs). He refused to go to the hospital even though when the headaches came and went, they were debilitating. He finally went to sleep before I had to go to work.

To give a little history on him, he is a 26 year old male with a family history of mild bipolar disorder, alcoholism, and depression. However, he is not an alcoholic or a drug user. He is currently (and has been for at least 3 months) depressed, but won't seek treatment. He eats very little and barely ever sleeps (also does not take sleep aids). A similar episode happened about a week and a half ago and was not followed by drinking. I noticed he was making a lot of noise around 2am like slamming cabinets and after about 30 minutes, I went out into the living room to see what was going on. He was playing with the dog and I yelled his name several times asking what was going on with no reponse from him. After the third time, he yelled back and fell into a crouched position and started to freak out. He looked very frightened and anxious and said that he doesn't know how he got to where he was. He said the last thing he remembered was watching TV. Clearly, he was sleep walking (he has a history of sleep taking). Once he was conscious, he said his head felt like it was in a vice and that the pain was unbearable. He disappeared outside for about 10 minutes because I assumed he was so confused and freaked out that he had to clear his head. Both times, he didn't have these "headaches" prior to these episodes. However, tonight, he was actually awake during the hallucinations.

Has anyone ever heard of something like this???
Did you find this post helpful?
|

replied November 4th, 2013
Experienced User
I would recommend seeing a doctor as these issue seem to suggest a problem with the brain itself. The reason I am suggesting this while I am trying not to be alarming but these kinda symptoms do sometimes happen to those with a brain tumour. Personality changes, hallucinations, pain, memory problems and so forth. Of coarse empirical evidence is needed, until then this is just a baseless assumption on my part. Once again I suggest seeing a doctor even it means being a bit pushy to get get him their.
|
Did you find this post helpful?
Must Read
Stress is a natural response to life. But when does stress begin to cause health problems? Basics on stress and the stress response here....
What are the most common signs of stress? To learn which symptoms of acute, episodic and chronic stress can develop into more serious problems, start here....
Stress can trigger chronic illness. Learn how doctors test for stress and what to expect during an office visit in this section on how to diagnose stress....