Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Chest Pain Forum

Strange "cardiac" feelings late at night

Must Read
What is pneumonia? Learn basic facts about pneumonia here, plus how doctors define the different types of pneumonia that people can get....
Some people are more at risk of getting pneumonia than others. Are you one of them? Learn more about how you get pneumonia and who is at risk here....
Chest pain is typical during cases of pneumonia. But what other signs and symptoms should you look for? Know when to seek medical help by starting here....
I'm 23, light smoker, and in average shape. Almost every night I get a little bit of numbness in my left shoulder, extending down to my elbow. Occasionally, this is accompanied by a slight catch directly left of my sternum, almost like Pericordial Catch Syndrome. Resting heart rate is usually around 75-78 during the whole bout. Tonight, I got extremely nauseous and ended up vomiting, but was quick to blame some bad chicken wings. Since I am a smoker, this always makes me paranoid that I'm having a heart attack, or some kinds of early stroke. This also leads to worsening "symptoms" in the form of paranoid panic attacks. Am I being paranoid or is this a legitimate thing I should get checked out?
Did you find this post helpful?

User Profile
replied March 29th, 2012
Welcome to e health forum.

The risk of you having a heart attack at a age of 23 years, is very less likely.

Your symptoms are mostly due to severe anxiety, panic attacks, indigestion and or musculoskeletal issues.

Musculoskeletal inflammatory pain can be diagnosed if the pain ‎‎increases on ‎‎specific movements or ‎‎‎on direct pressure on the affected area. Such pain can respond to ‎‎medications ‎‎like Ibuprofen 400 mg ‎‎‎taken three times a day. This generally resolves within a week. ‎

In addition, trying to avoid eating high spicy , fat rich foods, which can precipitate your symptoms will be essential. A healthy diet with lots of vegetables, and fruits should prevent the pain associated with indigestion or ‎gastritis. ‎

You may consult your treating doctors who can examine you. A proper counseling and if needed a few tests can help you control your anxiety and hence your symptoms.

Did you find this post helpful?
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Chest Pain , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.