Medical Questions > Mental Health > Stop Smoking Forum

Stopping smoking while pregnant (Page 1)

User Profile
how does smokin effect a baby at 5weeks old iam pregant an very worried dat i cant control my habit(pls help me becuse my husband is very upset with me for contuing to smoke i have drop from a pack every to days to 1 cigg every couple of hours i have been smoking since i was 12yrs old iam now 34 yrs.old HOW DO I STOP TO PROTECT MY UNBORN PLS IAM VERY VERY VERY STRESSED AN MANY NEWS WILL BE GREATLY BE APPRICATED

Did you find this post helpful?
First Helper User Profile
|

User Profile
replied April 16th, 2010
Stop Smoking Answer A11295
Hi,
Welcome to the ehealthforum. I am glad to help you out.

I’ll sincerely suggest you to give up smoking at the earliest as it is detrimental to both yours as well as your baby’s health.

Smoking increases the chance of an early miscarriage, low birth weight, and premature delivery.

A smoker’s blood contains carbon monoxide, which replaces some of the oxygen content.

This results in less oxygen being delivered to the foetus, whose heart rate increases as it seeks to get the oxygen it needs.

The organs of babies of mothers who smoke during pregnancy tend to be smaller than normal, and lung function is not as effective as it should be.

The development of nerve cells is also hampered in such children, and chances of learning and behavioural problems when the child is older are increased.

So it makes sense for an expectant mother to quit smoking as early as possible to give her baby the best possible chances for good health.

Please do consult a physician at the earliest and quit smoking. You cannot give up smoking by decreasing the number of cigarettes in a day.

You’ll have to throw the pack, once and for all. I sincerely hope this information helps. Take care.

|
Did you find this post helpful?
This question has been answered by the doctor. This topic is now open for public discussion, however no comments below this point will be answered by a doctor.
Quick Reply
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Stop Smoking , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.