Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Epilepsy Forum

Stopping seizure medication without a doctor's advice

User Profile
hello i have bin put on epilim crono 300 but want to drink with my mates i have only had 2 fits in my life nad was woundering if i could just stop taking them or would they be a side affect

Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied January 26th, 2010
Epilepsy Answer A9520
Hi, welcome to the ehealth forum and I am glad to help you.

You want to stop seizure medications and drink with your mates. Drinking alcohol is not recommended for people who are taking seizure medications to control seizures. Alcohol can increase the likelihood of experiencing certain side effects such as dizziness and drowsiness. Alcohol can also decrease the effectiveness of many seizure medications, and increase the risk of having a seizure.

You should not stop epilim as the discontinuation of therapy can only be ascertained by your physician after going through your case history taking into account the cause of seizures, the kind of seizures, seizure-free periods and neurological examination status including intelligence with the result of investigations including an MRI and an EEG, etc. Any irrational discontinuation of therapy can lead to recurrence of fits or seizures.

Hope this helps. Take care.

Note: This post is not to emphasize a final diagnosis as the same cannot be made online and is just to provide medical information and that no treatment suggested above be taken without a face-to-face consultation with a health care professional.

|
Did you find this post helpful?
This question has been answered by the doctor. This topic is now open for public discussion, however no comments below this point will be answered by a doctor.
Must Read
Click here to learn more about what causes epilepsy and the different types of epilepsy. Start here to learn about the basics of this type of brain disorder. ...
Get the facts on epilepsy types. Identify signs & symptoms of epilepsy. We outline different types of epileptic seizures so you know when to seek help....
How can you know if you're having an epileptic seizure? We outline how doctors clinically diagnose epilepsy and other seizures here....
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Epilepsy , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.