Medical Questions > Cancer > Leukemia Forum

Stopping Glivec tablets ?

User Profile
I am having CML from last 3 years. My BCR/ABL Test Result was 0% 3 times in 6 months interval. Next time the ratio was 0.0023%. The result now is 0%. Could you please let me know whether I can stop having my tablets (Glivec 400mg) any time in future? Also please let me know whether there are any issues if I marry and conceive while having tablets.

Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied May 24th, 2010
Leukemia Answer A12424
Hi, welcome to the ehealth forum and I am glad to help you.
Although there is no evidence that a brief exposure to Gleevec (imatinib mesylate) during conception and pregnancy adversely affects the developing fetus, most patients lose their response to imatinab after treatment interruption. Patients receiving imatinib should be advised to practice adequate contraception. Imatinib has been assigned to pregnancy category D by the FDA. Animal studies have revealed evidence of teratogenicity and fetotoxicity. There are no controlled data in human pregnancy. Women of childbearing potential should be advised to avoid becoming pregnant. If a patient becomes pregnant during imatinib therapy, she should be advised of the potential hazard to the fetus. Do not conceive a child (get pregnant) while taking Gleevec. Barrier methods of contraception, such as condoms, are recommended.
It is currently not recommended to stop Gleevec as resistance may develop or the drug may become ineffective and also because the drugs are most effective in the chronic phase of CML and these stop the progression to accelerated and blast phases of CML
Exciting options for treating CML continue to be discovered. Two other TKIs have been developed: dasatinib and nilotinib. These drugs have been shown to be very effective in the treatment of CML patients whose disease is resistant to imatinib.
Patients taking imatinib or the other TKIs are checked often to see if they are responding. Other treatments, either an allogeneic transplant may be the only option left if drugs don't work.
Discuss with your doctor when you may safely become pregnant or conceive a child after therapy.
Hope this helps. Take care.
Note: This post is not to emphasise final diagnosis as the same cannot be made online and is aimed just to provide medical information and no treatment suggested above be taken without face to face consultation with health care professional.

|
Did you find this post helpful?
Must Read
Click here for basic info on leukemia, including diagnostic types and how doctors classify this disease of blood forming tissues....
Is leukemia inherited? Read here for more info on what causes leukemia and what environment risk factors or triggers you might avoid....
Leukemia can affect many parts of the body, including the organs of the cardiovascular and digestive systems. But what are the major symptoms of leukemia?...
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Leukemia , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.