Medical Questions > Mental Health > Panic Attacks Forum

Stop Calling Them Panic Attacks, It Only Makes It Worse

Hey guys. One thing that I always found helpful when I was struggling with panic attacks was to stop calling them panic attacks! I know it sounds silly but it actually makes a lot of sense when you think about it. What you’re going through is the fight or flight response, that’s it. If you’re telling yourself that you’re under attack, then of course you’re going to get nervous, that’s what the fight or flight response is for, for dealing with attacks and threats.

Instead, I used to think of them as an adrenaline rushes. A burst of energy that’s triggered because your subconscious mind is perceiving danger, even though there is none. I know it can sound silly but that wording has a huge effect on how you perceive your experience. After taking out the negative inference that the word attack brings, i changed my view of what I was experiencing. I told myself that people pay lots of money for this kind of rush. They jump of building, play extreme sports, chase tornados, whatever. The point is that once I took away a lot of the scariness of it, I actually learned to love that rush of juice and from that point on recovery came pretty quickly.

I hope that you guys found this useful. Feel free to leave me any questions in the comments, I usually respond pretty quickly. Best of luck!
Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied July 30th, 2019
Hello and welcome to EHF !

I went through your query and i understand your concern.Its good thing. Yes adrenaline rush can be used for the word to make it feel better. Seek help of a psychiatrist and a therapist. They will give some anxiolytics and some behavioural therapies will help.

Take care
|
Did you find this post helpful?
Tags: Recovery
Quick Reply
Must Read
Learn how doctors clinically diagnose one of twelve kinds of anxiety disorders...and which doctors you should see for an anxiety diagnosis....
Anxiety disorders can affect anyone. But do you know the common signs and symptoms of anxiety disorders? Learn more now....
Anxiety is a normal, healthy emotion when experienced during specific moments. But do you know the signs that anxiety has gotten out of control? Read more here...
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Panic Attacks , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.