Hi guys (and girls!)

When I take a poo my stool is usually soft and mushy which nearly always means a huge amount of wiping to get clean. The excessive wiping makes my anus sore and often there will be blood on the toilet paper.

Until recently I had 2 large skin tags on my anus which I think were a result of years of irritating my anus causing scar tissue to continually be produced. I had these surgically removed a few months back (no complications, fully healed) and definitely don't want this to be happening again! Occasionally I will have a bowel movement which is adequately hard and will require one or 2 wipes but this is a rarity. Its such a pain i the butt (literally!) having to use 1/4 of a roll of toilet paper on a sore anus to get clean!

I eat plenty of fibre and in general have a pretty good diet, is there anything I can eat more of or supplement my diet with to firm my stools up?
Did you find this post helpful?
First Helper Pipsy
|

replied December 4th, 2013
Experienced User
Yes one can take a supplement like metamucil and so forth to bulk up their stool. However, what I would suggest doing before going on such a route is actually counting how much fiber you get over a few days and average it. Ultimately, the goal is around 20-25g of fiber.

If you are hitting that number and your still getting diarrhea then I would suggest going back to your doctor as this could be indication of something else.

If your not I would suggest trying to get as close to this range for a couple of weeks and see if there is any difference. If you do, but it isn't quite there then I would suggest adding in the supplement.

Ultimately, finding out exactly how much fiber your getting is the key before making any decisions.

Best of luck.
|
Did you find this post helpful?
Must Read
Feeling constipated? Do you know how constipation is medically defined? Get the basics on this common gastrointestinal complaint here....
Are you experiencing severe or chronic constipation? Learn about causes of constipation here....
Constipation is defined differently by different people. Learn to identify signs and symptoms of constipation and know when to ask for medical help....