I had my GB removed May/2010. Had zero problems afterwards and could eat pretty much anything without issues. About 3 weeks ago I started to get pains in my right side and feel bloating around my lower abdomen and over to my left side.

The pain on my right side gets worse if I sit down for long periods, walking makes it better. Saw my doctor and had a HIDA scan yesterday. Waiting to see him to get the results.

He had mentioned that stones may be out of the picture since my duct was really too small.

Because of my symptoms, it really makes me think that there are stones somewhere. Simply because the pain is lessened or goes away with walking. It then comes back hard in my right side sitting down for a while.

He had also mentioned a ERCP but is waiting for the HIDA scan results.

Could it be stones? I find it hard to believe that it may be IBS or gastroparisis. my gastro doc did say I have gastroparisis but have had NO problems since my GB was removed.
Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied April 15th, 2011
Hello, and thanks for your medical question on eHealthForum

From the history provided it seems that you might be having post cholecystectomy syndrome (PCS). The condition is comprised of symptoms that existed prior to the cholecystectomy surgery or it may be new symptoms that followed the cholecystectomy.

PCS is caused by changes that occur in how the bile flows within the body without a functioning gallbladder to store excess bile.

When excess of the bile flows into the upper portion of the gastrointestinal tract continuously it may lead to gastritis and esophagitis.

When this bile reaches the intestines and colon, it can result in pain in the lower abdominal area and diarrhea.

Treatment of the condition might need treatment with antacids, proton pump inhibitors, antispasmodics, or sedatives. Cholestyramine can help for patients with diarrhea alone.

You might wait for the results of the HIDA scan and follow up with your doctor for further treatment.

I hope this helps.

|

replied April 26th, 2011
I want to update this thread to keep track and also for others to follow. HIDA exam came back negative and doctor said he could not find any issues. Few days later I went to urgent care thinking it may be a kidney stone. They did a CT scan and said there were no stones.

Still have some of the pain, sometimes bad/sometimes its ok. Changed up diet and it makes no difference.

I also get a soreness in my right testicle when it happens. Its as though my right side and right testicle are connected with the pain.

Going to see a urologist tomorrow. I still firmly believe it may be a stone hanging around.
|

replied August 18th, 2011
Here it is Aug 18 and the pain is back. After I updated the last post back on April 26th, I stopped doing some moderate swimming. Being in so much pain, the only thing I could do was get up in the mornings and do basic things around the house.

So about a week later the pain went away 100%. I was amazed and could not figure out why. Again I did NO physical exercise beside the normal daily routines of washing clothes, etc. As a disabled veteran, that's pretty much my day!

Anyway.. Last week I decided to start SLOW on a elliptical machine. Started out doing level 1 at a SUPER SLOW pace for 10 mins. Next day same thing.

By the weeks end I was up to 25 mins. I noticed that week that my right side started to hurt again and a bloating feeling down around my lower abdomen. There is no way this could be happening again! I was 100% pain free for a few months and now all of a sudden its back.

My thought is that its a incisional hernia brought on by the original gall bladder surgery. I did not have this pain until after.

I am going to see a new gastro surgeon next Tues and at a loss as to what it could be. The pain down to my right testicle came back when the exercise started too.

Too make matter worse.. The pain location is RIGHT at the incision area on my right side. This makes me think the doctor did something wrong and caused the hernia.

He originally told me it was just IBS. I have never had IBS and even now when I eat, have no issues. Only when I started working out again, did the pain come back.

Does any of this sound like a hernia? I am no doctor but all the signs point to it being one.....
|

replied August 18th, 2011
Also, when I went to see the urologist he did NOTHING to help me. His response was "I have never heard of this before and have no idea what it could be". Then he said "Well I can always give you some medicine?".

He even mentioned "you probably think I am a loser huh?".
|
Must Read
Are you suffering from gallbladder pain? We describe the location and function of the gallbladder to target possible problems....
When do you need to see a doctor about possible gallbladder problems? Learn to distinguish signs and symptoms of gallbladder disease to take action before it's...
Gallstones are the most frequent cause of an inflamed gallbladder. Know the common symptoms of gallstones or gallstone attack....
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Gallbladder Disease , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.