Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Kidney Conditions Forum

stone on the left doesn't explain right side pain

Two weeks ago tomorrow I woke up with excruciating pain in my lower right abdomen. At first I thought it was stomach craps as the day before I had a stomach ache and a mild case of diarreah (tmi). After about an hour of fighting with my husband about going to the hospital, and not being able to move or stop crying we went to the ER. I was given a CT scan and the results came back that I had a 4.6mm stone. They gave me pain medicine and sent me home tell me to make an appointment with the urologist.

The following week I went to the urologist and upon speaking with him I was told that I had a stone in my left kidney/ureter. I asked why I would have pain on the right then, the Dr thought maybe ER wrote the report wrong. He sent me home with more pain meds and flomax. He was going to the hospital later and would pull the films to double check.

He had me return today and an X-ray was taken, along with a uribe sample. I'm still having incredible pain on my right side, both back and abdomen. I still have blood in my urine, and upon review of the X-rays the stone is still there. Ironically at first he didn't see it, but upon a closer look from a different angle we were able to see the stone. He confirmed that the stone is on the left side, which still doesn't explain the right side pain. I've missed several days of work and activities with my son because the pain is intense. He's sending me for a ultrasound tomorrow of my bladder and ovaries to see if there is a concern there. The CT scan said there was nothing remarkable on that film. However he doesn't want to take any chances. He did say he thought perhaps it was an issue with my sacroiliac joint.

Sorry for this long post but I wanted to make sure the background story was included. My question is this, has anyone experienced this? Pain on one side stone on the other? Something had to of caused that initial pain that sent me to the ER.
Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied August 23rd, 2015
Welcome to e health forum.

Diagnosing kidney stones usually involves one or more imaging procedures to visualize the urinary tract and kidney stone and is usually accompanied by simple blood and urine tests to evaluate the function of the kidneys and rule out other conditions that may be causing your symptoms.

Furthermore, not all kidney stones show up on X-ray; uric acid stones and small kidney stones will not be revealed by a standard X-ray.

A CT scan is the best and accurate imaging technique for evaluating kidney stones.

If the investigations have showed any evidence of urinary obstruction on the right ureter , but no stones, then the cause of your symptoms could be due to other non-stone related causes, including strictures.

The other possibility is that you had a stone on the right side, which has passed out , before you were able to have the CT scan, and any persistent pain and blood in urine could be due to tissue inflammation or damage caused during the descent of the stone.

Adequate pain killers and other conservative management approach for a few days, might lead to resolution of your symptoms in a few days. Hence it would be best if you remain patient and give it time for complete healing.

In addition, consult your doctor / urologist and seek advice regarding management of the other stone on the left side. Dietary advice will also help you prevent further occurance of renal stones.

I hope the information provided here is helpful.

|
Did you find this post helpful?
Quick Reply
Must Read
The kidneys filter blood and regulate body flood. What happens during kidney failure? And what types of kidney failure do doctors diagnose?...
There are three main condition which cause renal (kidney) failure. Learn what causes kidney failure and what factors increase your risk of kidney problems....
What are the signs of acute or chronic kidney failure? Which ones are more serious than others? And when should you ask a doctor or go to the ER for help?...
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Kidney Conditions , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.