Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Digestive and Bowel Disorders Forum

Stomach problems, trouble creating solid stool

Hello i thought id give this a try before i set up a doctors appointment.

for the last 2-3 months ive had trouble creating solid stool. some times my stool is green and after some meals 1-4 hours i have the uncomfortable pressure like gas and then have to go to the bathroom to releive the pressure. ive never had any issues with any foods messing my stomach up in the past. now anything relatively spicy messes my stomach up aswell. and actually for the first time in my life i had what i would assume is acid reflux after eating something kind of spicy. i cant seem to nail down what the problem is. any info is appreciated.
Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied March 26th, 2011
Hello and thank you for posting your health query on E health Forum.

From the available history, your symptoms could be due to indigestion as well due to reflux disorder.

You might consider consulting a physician who after a physical examination can rule out other conditions.

In the mean time you can try the tips suggested below.

1. Change and develop good dietary habits including, eating several small meals daily.

2. Diet should include fresh fruits, fiber rich foods.
Avoid spicy foods, fats and fried foods.
Also avoid coffee, tea, alcohol, colas, and smoking.
Avoid processed foods (Junk foods from refined carbohydrates),
Eat freshly cooked food from whole grains.

3. Adopt proper posture.

4. Don't eat for at least three hours before you go to bed. If you have symptoms at night, try raising the head of your bed six to ten inches.

5. Maintaining adequate hydration.

6. Adopting a sitting upright posture for 1 hr post meals will help in relieving the symptoms.

7. Avoid foods to which you are intolerant.

In addition to dietary and lifestyle changes, you can try the following medications to reduce your symptoms as follows.

1. antacids (Tums, mylanta) will help relieve the acidity related discomfort ;
2. Omeprazole will help to reduce acid secretions ;
3. Activated charcoal will reduce the bloating sensation,
4. Probiotics and digestive enzyme supplements will help to improve indigestion.

I hope this helps.

|
Did you find this post helpful?
Must Read
Feeling constipated? Do you know how constipation is medically defined? Get the basics on this common gastrointestinal complaint here....
Are you experiencing severe or chronic constipation? Learn about causes of constipation here....
Constipation is defined differently by different people. Learn to identify signs and symptoms of constipation and know when to ask for medical help....
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Digestive and Bowel Disorders , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.