Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Digestive and Bowel Disorders Forum

stomach pain after eating fatty foods

Must Read
Feeling constipated? Do you know how constipation is medically defined? Get the basics on this common gastrointestinal complaint here....
Are you experiencing severe or chronic constipation? Learn about causes of constipation here....
Constipation is defined differently by different people. Learn to identify signs and symptoms of constipation and know when to ask for medical help....
I have been having stomach pain after eating fatty foods for about 2 years. I went through many test, 2 years ago, where everything turned out normal and the doctor could not tell me what was wrong with me. He then sent me to a GI specialist who told me that the inside of my stomach looked like it was covered in pollen when it was empty. He said that it was the bile from my gallbladder and that my stomach was not pushing it out like it should. I asked him what I could do about it and he said that I should just not eat any food high in fat ever again. This means that I am not able to eat burgers, fries, pizza, icecream, pork, beef, or any kind of high in fat deserts. Instead of improving, I have only been getting worse over the years. Recently I have been having a hard time keeping almost any kind of food down because almost everything has some amount of fat in it. I thought that maybe I had h-pylori but that turned out negative. I thought that maybe my gallbladder was acting up but my hida scan turned out 75%. My doctor tells me that my tests show that I am healthy but my friends and family can see that I am not healthy. I stay tired and I get extremely nauseated and sick after eating. I have a weak immune system because I can catch just about any sickness that I come in contact with. I recently had extreme pain in my back around my kidneys and my doctor said that there was blood in my urine but he couldn't figure out what was causing the blood or the pain. He sent me to a Urologist who checked out my bladder with a cistocope and it turned out normal. I told them that I urinate alot about 10 times a day or more; however, I only drink about 32 onces of fluid a day because I dont get thirsty. After two weeks, my urine no longer showed any signs of blood but that is when my stomach started acting crazy again. I already know that I have acid reflux disease but the doctors dont think that is what the problem is. I cant get any doctor around here to give me an answer of what is going on with me. I also have been diagnosed with endometriosis about 2 years ago also. But that pain is lower on my abdomen. This pain is higher and on the right side. Based on these systems can anyone give me an explanation of what is going on.
Did you find this post helpful?

User Profile
replied February 8th, 2011
Hello and thank you for posting your medical question on E health Forum.

Based on the history and the description a definitive diagnosis cannot be done online. But for your information, here are some of the causes that could be bothering you.

In absence of major symptoms like fever, loss of weight, appetite, bloody stools, etc, your symptoms of nausea, stomach upset, abdominal cramps could be due to irritable bowel syndrome (IBS).

Most symptoms of IBS can be controlled with diet, stress management, and prescribed medications (laxatives, antidiarrheals, antispasmodics, or antidepressants).

The symptoms including Right upper quadrant pain, intolerance to fatty foods, nausea, vomiting can be associated with hepatitis or gall bladder disease. This may need investigation with blood tests, and a ultrasound of the abdomen.

The presence of epigastric burning pain, nausea, decreased appetite could be due to peptic ulcer disease or severe gastritis. Treatment would be via proper hydration, diet and lifestyle modification, physical exercise, and medications including antacids, omeprazole or other acid reducing medications. Adopting a sitting upright posture for 1 hr post meals will help in relieving the symptoms.

In addition tests to detect H-Pylori infection in the stomach and specific treatment for 3-4 weeks may be helpful in case of H pylori infection induced gastritis.

You may consider to consult your physician or a gastroenterologist for proper diagnosis and treatment.

I hope you find this helpful.

Did you find this post helpful?

replied September 20th, 2015
I don't know if you figured out the problem yet, but this matched your symptoms quite a bit. ons/crohns-disease/basics/symptoms/con-200 32061
Did you find this post helpful?
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Digestive and Bowel Disorders , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.