Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Digestive and Bowel Disorders Forum

stomach pain accompanied with occasional heartburn

User Profile
I’ve been experiencing stomach pain accompanied with occasional heartburn but the bizarre thing about my problem is that I have been experiencing this ever since I was 7 or 8 years old and now I am 18. I find it even more bizarre that it comes in "cycles" where it can hurt every day for weeks or months on end and then suddenly disappear completely for anywhere from a day to a week to months to even a year or more.Then, at a completely random time it will start again. In fact, I remember a time where it disappeared completely for about 2 years and randomly came again. It only happens after I eat, usually an hour or 2 after eating, and the stomach pain will start small and get worse until I am forced to eat something quick to make the pain go away for another hour or 2. I recently found a better way than the "eat to make the pain go away" by mixing a teaspoon of baking soda with water and drinking it, which completely eliminates the problem for a longer time. Please help and thanks

Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied September 23rd, 2014
General Q and A Answer A49347
Thank you for asking

Your question has answers in it. It is a gastric inflammation aka Gastritis with our with out GERD. get evaluated for H pylori or any other etiology of gastritis. baking soda helps because it alkalizes and neutralise th acidity.

You need some proton pump inhibitors, diet and lifestyle modifications and a little work up for the cause.

No spices, beverages , stimulants or alcohol .

Get a gastroenterologist.

good luck

|
Did you find this post helpful?
Must Read
Feeling constipated? Do you know how constipation is medically defined? Get the basics on this common gastrointestinal complaint here....
Are you experiencing severe or chronic constipation? Learn about causes of constipation here....
Constipation is defined differently by different people. Learn to identify signs and symptoms of constipation and know when to ask for medical help....
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Digestive and Bowel Disorders , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.