Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Gallbladder Disease Forum

stomach inflamation, high liver enzymes, and heartburn

User Profile
First I want to start by saying I am hypothyroidism, and am on synthroid. I have been on 75mcg for several years, but a month ago during my annual exam my levels were low so they increased my synthroid to 100 mcg which I have had for a month now. My exam also showed my cholesterol was slightly high. I also requested a gluten test, but normal. I have been having severe heartburn and pain for 2 months now. I had an endoscopy which revealed a red and inflamed stomach. I was put on carafate and omeprazole. A month later, I had my gallbladder removed (Thursday May 3rd) It has been 5-6 days since my gallbladder was removed and I still continue to experience severe heartburn and pain. I went to the E.R yesterday. They performed blood tests, EKG, and an ultrasound. The ultrasound showed swelling near the bile duct. The blood tests came back with high liver enzymes. With my symptoms of stomach inflamation, high liver enzymes, and heartburn, could I have hidden celiacs or hashimotos disease?

Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied May 21st, 2012
Gallbladder Disease Answer A35191
ello,

Welcome to the ehealthforum and I am glad to help you out.

I can understand your concern. These symptoms do not look like hidden celiac or Hashimotos disease. It looks like the swelling near the bile duct is due to any stone being left behind in the bile duct or due to post cholecystectomy syndrome. For the swelling of the bile duct, you should consult a gastroenterologist as you might need further investigations like an ERCP to look for the cause of the swelling of the bile duct. In this procedure, a tube is passed into the bile duct to look for the cause of the swelling as stone could be blocking the opening of the bile duct into the intestine.

In post cholecystectomy syndrome, there’s persistent pain and associated nausea/vomiting. This occurs primarily due to either the adhesions which are formed in the area of the surgery or due to the dysfunction of the sphincter of oddi. Since the reservoir of the bile i.e. gall bladder has been surgically removed, it results in a continuous flow of the bile into the intestine resulting in gastritis & esophagitis. The sphincter of oddi dysfunction is treated by using high doses of calcium channel blockers or nitrates. ERCP is a procedure which is done to look for the cause of the post cholecystectomy syndrome and is also used for the treatment.

It is very difficult to precisely confirm a diagnosis without examination and investigations and the answer is based on the medical information provided. For exact diagnosis, you are requested to consult your doctor. I sincerely hope that helps. Take care.

|
Did you find this post helpful?
This question has been answered by the doctor. This topic is now open for public discussion, however no comments below this point will be answered by a doctor.
Must Read
Learn the basics about various conditions and diseases, including risk factors, diagnosis, and treatment options....
Learn about risk factors to developing a certain conditions and diseases. ...
Learn about screening and diagnosis options available for certain conditions and diseases....
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Gallbladder Disease , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.