Medical Questions > Cancer > Brain Cancer Forum

Stomach cancer surgery

User Profile
I have had begine lumps since i was 20. so far i have had 2 biopy and 3 operations. I am now 30 they want to see me again for the results. i did get my results by phone and they said the 2 lumps they removed were fibroabanoma. But they left 4 lumps there as they feel they are no harm. My dad was told he had cancer in oct 09 stomach cancer.
And his 2 brothers had also cancer they have passed away i with pancrese cancer and the other with throath cancer.
is this in our family even though we all have it in different places.
My dad is getting his operation in 2-3 weeks to remove his stomach.
is this a big operation and willl he be ok. my dad is 68 years old.

Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied February 21st, 2010
Brain Cancer Answer A10179
Hi, welcome to the ehealth forum and I am glad to help you.
You seem concerned by the stomach cancer in your dad and multiple fibroadenomas in your breasts.
About 85% of stomach cancers are adenocarcinomas, with 15% due to lymphomas and others. The problem with stomach cancers is that when superficial and surgically curable, these produce no symptoms which leads to delay in diagnosis. Stomach ulcers spread by direct extension through the stomach wall and if stomach cancers are recognized when they are limited to stomach wall, the rate of cure after surgery is >80%.The type of operation depends on the site of cancer and prognosis(survival rate) after complete resection of tumor depends on local extension of tumor, regional lymph node spread and metastasis to liver and other areas etc.
5 year survival rate varies from 10-20% and recurrences are also common.
Fibroadenomas are benign breast lesions and not of much trouble and patients with a benign biopsy are at little risk and may be followed routinely as is your case.
Hope this helps. Take care.
Note: This post is not to emphasise final diagnosis as the same cannot be made online and is aimed just to provide medical information and no treatment suggested above be taken without face to face consultation with health care professional.

|
Did you find this post helpful?
This question has been answered by the doctor. This topic is now open for public discussion, however no comments below this point will be answered by a doctor.
Must Read
Brain basics here - what is a tumor and how do doctors understand brain cancer? ...
What puts you at risk of developing brain cancer? Review the most common risk factors for brain cancer so that you can be informed....
Brain cancer symptoms are wide ranging and various. Look out for these common symptoms of brain cancer and learn when you should seek medical help....
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Brain Cancer , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.