Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Abdominal Pain Forum

stomach, back and side (rib) pains?

Must Read
Abdominal pain and bellyaches are common. Though most cases of abdominal pain aren't serious, sometimes you will need to see a doctor. We’ll review some of...
Abdominal pain can be uncomfortable but is very common. But when is pain in the abdomen serious? Learn how to describe your symptoms more accurately so that yo...
It's important to "know your pain" to help your doctor diagnose the reason behind abdominal pain. Read on for more tools and information about how to diagnose ...
User Profile
My symptons are stomach,back and side(rib) pains what is wrong with me.

Did you find this post helpful?

User Profile
replied January 30th, 2012
Abdominal Pain Answer A30947
Hello and welcome to e health forum. ‎

Having upper abdominal or lower chest pain, or pain in the side - can be due to the following ‎causes:- ‎

‎1. Musculoskeletal pain‎
‎2. Acute gastritis ‎
‎3. Splenomegaly - associated with infections like Infectious mononucleosis, Malaria, etc. ‎
‎4. Lower lobe Pneumonia ‎
‎5. Colitis ‎
‎6. Pancreatitis, ‎
‎7. Intra Abdominal abscesses. ‎

Musculoskeletal inflammatory pain can be diagnosed if the pain ‎‎increases on ‎‎specific movements or ‎on direct pressure on the affected area. Such pain can respond to ‎‎medications ‎‎like Ibuprofen 400 mg ‎taken three times a day. This generally resolves within a week.

Pneumonia:- Here the pain increases on deep breaths and is associated with symptoms ‎‎‎‎‎like cough, expectoration of mucus or purulent sputum, etc. This can be diagnosed with physical ‎examination, Differential Leucocyte count, sputum testing as well as Chest X ray. ‎Treatment with a ‎course of antibiotics might help to clear the infection. ‎

Pain that originates due to renal issues (Stones, infection) is usually episodic , spasmodic or colicky in ‎nature, ‎‎‎‎‎originating ‎in the flank and radiating to the lower belly, inner thigh. It is ‎associated with other ‎‎‎‎symptoms like ‎nausea, vomiting ‎and systemic features due to any infection. ‎

For the time being, you can take OTC medications like Advil, to control the pain. Antacids (Tums, ‎mylanta) can help to control the acidity, associated with gastritis. Bismuth tablets can help to reduce ‎the spasmodic pain. ‎

But for a proper diagnosis of your condition, a physical examination by your doctor and a few tests ‎including X ray , ultrasound or CT might be needed. ‎

Hence you may consult with your doctor for the same. ‎

I hope this helps.‎

Did you find this post helpful?
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Abdominal Pain , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.