Medical Questions > Mental Health > Bipolar Disorder Forum

staying with bi polar boyfriend

hi,i'm a 24 yr old woman my boyfriend was diagnosed with bi polar this year i have been thru hell with him with two stints of mnths at a time in hospital, first with depression second with severe mania.i was away with him and i feared for my life until i got some1to bring us back to our country.it was a week of torture and i never got over it. i was them diagnosed with post tramatc stress. i love him very much but i am truely afraid this will happen again even tho he is stable he has become very lazy and sleeps all the time.i have gone on a break from him but i dunno wat to do next? he is so lovely and i know he doesnt want to hurt me.he does try but we have no contact at the mo he hates confrontation.
Did you find this post helpful?
|

replied June 14th, 2008
Extremely eHealthy
Hi and welcome
Glad you found us. Hope you can find some piece of mind and suggestion we may have for you. Also looking forward to your input on many issues. Make youself at home. A pleasure meeting you in cyberspaace. We are a warm and helpful group. You will not be sorry your joined us.

I am going to move your topic to the Bipolar forum so you can get some good input and though from other members. I don't think you would fair as well here in the welcome forum.

Again welcom and if you have any questions, please don't hesitate to ask. We are all here for you.

Carrie
|

replied June 15th, 2008
Extremely eHealthy
This is a hard situation to be in. If you are afraid then you need to consider your safety and your own mental health. This may not be a healthy relationship for you. It has nothing to do with how much you love him. He is not well and needs to be medicated and get some therapy. You need to think of yourself and know when you have reached your limits. This is not abandoning him. It is being true to yourself. You can not be there for him if he is threatening you or abusing you.
|

replied June 25th, 2008
Hi there,

I agree with the above post. I am bipolar, and my Dad is too. His relationship with my Mum was troubled because his illness controlled him, rather than the other way around. In my case, however, I'm in a happy, healthy relationship because I fight my disorder every step of the way, take my meds each day, and try hard to keep the relationship working. Relationships take effort, and he needs to make that effort for you.
|
Must Read
Do you know what bipolar is exactly? And what types of bipolar do doctors classify and diagnose? Learn more basics about bipolar disorder here....
Can stress put you at risk of developing bipolar disorder? Read here for information on risk factors which increase the likelihood that someone becomes bipolar....
Bipolar is difficult to diagnose as an illness ... but bipolar symptoms are usually accompanied by extreme changes. What are the symptoms of bipolar disorder?...