Medical Questions > Lifestyle > Fitness Forum

Starting workouts

Let me start by saying that I'm in fairly poor shape. I've recently gained quite a bit of weight from slack eating and exercise habits, and the use of birth control.

I realize that I have quite a few questions about fitness here, so any help you can give me would be very appreciated!

Recently, I began walking and biking. I really enjoy being on my bike, but people are constantly advising me that riding my bike a few miles a day and walking every now and then isn't enough if I really want to drop weight and get in good shape - especially since I don't do it regularly (like I know I ought to).

I've been researching exercise routines and the like, but as a beginner I'm having difficulties making sense of everything I see and read.

I don't know which muscle groups I'm trying to target, or which I should be trying to target. I don't know which exercises are going to be helpful and which are going to be pointless. And I don't know if I'll even have the correct form when I AM exercising.

I don't have any home gym equipment as of right now and I don't have a membership anywhere. Honestly, I find the gym setting kind of intimidating, and can't really see myself enjoying it - most of the people working out there are already in great shape! Is it better to be in that type of setting when you're just starting out, like I am? Can I still get an effective work-out without that equipment?

I'm also worried that since I'm so out of shape, I'm going to start with the wrong exercises and end up feeling discouraged when I can't do them correctly. I'd like to start slow and get in the habit of working out, and then build up to a more rigorous routine.

Should I get in contact with a personal trainer, and have them help me develop a routine that's right for me - or can I really do it on my own?

I'd like to find a routine that I can incorporate my bike into, at least a few times a week. In fact, if I could find a routine that involved a lot of outdoor activity, I'd be thrilled.

Also, can anyone recommend any recent books that may be of help? Or maybe a routine that you know of? I keep hearing about that p90x work-out, but it looks like another gimmick to me - any word on that?

Thanks so much!
Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied June 17th, 2009
Experienced User
I spin at home and it was the best investment I have ever made. I see amazing results and it really gets the fat off. Gyms are great because they have very nice machines. Maybe you could try a smaller gym, maybe you will be more comfortable in that type of gym. There are many cycling videos you could watch. They can simulate an outdoor bike ride, and some are very amusing to watch. You workout will be alot more interesting that way.
|
Did you find this post helpful?
Must Read
What is the medical definition of obesity? How is obesity different than being overweight. Basic medical facts on obesity here....
We review the simple cause of obesity here, and help you evaluate whether or not you are at risk of becoming obese. ...
Click here for basic signs of weight gain, and information on when to seek medical help if you think that you are becoming overweight....