Medical Questions > Cancer > Colon Cancer Forum

Stage IV adenocarcinoma colon cancer

User Profile
My 56 year old brother in law has been diagnosed with Stage IV poorly differentiated, adenocarcinoma colon cancer 5 weeks ago when he went to the dr. for severe abnormal upper quadrant pain and constipation. Here are the facts as I know them.... Bilirubin 23 one week ago, Spots on lung, Hepatitis C, Jaundice but getting better since Last week when they could barely put a stent in Bile duct was only able to get one stent in there allowing 1/3 the normal flow. Bilirubin is now at 9,Inoperable tumor in liver at this point due to location. These questions are for me only to determine approx. how long I have to prepare my husband. Last year he lost his only sister to liver and pancreas cancer and three months later he lost his little brother in a motorcycle accident. This last brother is his last sibling out of 4 and I know this is going to be severely devastating for him. Thank you for any info you can give me to give me some idea of how long I have to get my husband prepared.

Did you find this post helpful?
First Helper User Profile Dr. Robert Wascher
|

User Profile
replied January 30th, 2011
Colon Cancer Answer A19141
I am so sorry to hear of the devastating losses that your husband has experienced among his siblings.

I'm afraid that it is very difficult to predict how long any individual cancer patient will survive, given that there are so many potential variables.

You did not mention whether or not your brother-in-law is receiving chemotherapy, as this may significantly extend his life. In view of his combined metastatic colon cancer and hepatitis C, however, I am guessing that he is not a candidate for aggressive chemotherapy (although he might be able to tolerate limited chemotherapy if his liver function continues to improve).

Certainly, based upon the information that you have provided, your husband's brother should be considered terminally ill, and although I cannot tell you how long he might live, his disease is very likely to progress significantly over the next 6 to 12 months.

Robert A. Wascher, MD, FACS

www.doctorwascher.com

Author, "A Cancer Prevention Guide for the Human Race"

A landmark, evidence-based guide to a healthy cancer-prevention lifestyle, based on cutting-edge cancer research.
|
Did you find this post helpful?
This question has been answered by the doctor. This topic is now open for public discussion, however no comments below this point will be answered by a doctor.
Must Read
Colorectal cancer is serious and life-threatening. This section outline types of colorectal cancers, causes and risk factors for development. Get the facts here...
Although most colon cancers begin slowly, there are some people who are more at risk of developing colorectal cancer than others. But who? And why?...
As symptoms of colorectal cancer appear, they typically vary upon location and size. Learn to identify signs and symptoms early. Know when to seek help....
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Colon Cancer , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.