Medical Questions > Womens Health > Menopause Forum

SSRI's seem to be the only alternative

User Profile
I am 48 and have recently started to have hot flushes, up to twenty a day and I wake up six or more times a night. I have tried various alternative therapies with no effect. I am very worried about the increased breast cancer risk of HRT and the unpleasant side effects of SSRI 's which seem to be the only alternative, but the hot flushes are making life a misery and I can't carry on like this. What do you advise?

Did you find this post helpful?

User Profile
replied April 30th, 2012
Menopause Answer A34492
Welcome to ehealthforum.
The use of medications to control your symptoms depends on the severity of your symptoms and the benefits that the medication can provide. If the benefits outweigh the risks, your doctor/gynecologist will prescribe the suitable ones for your symptom control. Consider visiting your doctor/gynecologist for further evaluation and assistance. Get started on treatment as appropriate (based on examination findings and investigations results) for your symptom control.
Take care.

Did you find this post helpful?
Must Read
What is menopause? Peri menopause? How long does menopause last? Get the facts on menopause, "the big change", here. ...
Symptoms of menopause and perimenopause affect women in different ways. What common signs and early symptoms of menopause can alert you of "the change"?...
Consult your doctor as your body makes the perimenopause transition. But how do doctors confirm the beginning of menopause? Learn more here....
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Menopause , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.