Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Skin Forum

Spreading scar on shoulder

User Profile
Hi, there is a big scar on my shoulder and chest, appeared when in was young and it's still spreading. I've consulted some dermatologist they gave me some ointment and it's still there. Some doctors said it will stop spreading when i get 24 years. But it's still spreading. The scar is in dark brown colour and its spreading towards my neck,right chest. Please give a solution

Did you find this post helpful?

User Profile
replied August 11th, 2017
Skin Answer A61934
Welcome to e health forum.

It appears that you may have a hypertropied scar or a keloid.

Keloids are raised, reddish nodules that develop at the site of an injury. After a wound has occurred to the skin both skin cells and connective tissue cells are involved in the repair process.

In few individuals, due to persistant inflammatory status or due to genetic predisposition, the scar tissue continues to grow and does not enter the stage of contraction. They can remain tender or present with itching.

A hypertrophic scar looks similar to a keloid. Hypertrophic scars are more common. They don't get a big as keloids, and may fade with time.

Treatment for these conditions are available in the form of steroid injections or via other options like cryosurgery, surgical excision, laser therapy, etc.

It would be recommended that you consult a dermatologist and seek proper medical opinion and treatment for further care.

I hope this helps.

Did you find this post helpful?
Quick Reply
Must Read
Acne is a common skin condition - but what types of acne can a person have? Start learning about acne here....
Does chocolate or greasy food cause acne? Learn the difference between fact and who is at risk for getting acne?...
Severity of acne and symptoms vary by individual. Learn the difference between mild and sever acne here...and when you should seek medical help for acne....
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Skin , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.