I like my coffee and tea with sweetener, i.e in a 20 oz cup of either I use either five packets of Splenda or two tablespoons of sugar combined with soy milk to lighten it up a bit. I am seventy-three years old, 6' 2" tall, weigh 150 #s, work out regularly through competitive rowing and maintain my weight through caloric restriction which is, of course, the only way anyone can do it. My A1c is usually close to the pre-diabetic range, i.e. 5.6 - 5.8. My very active seventy-eight year old brother was diagnosed as a type 2 diabetic several years ago so I am very tuned into diabetes.

My question is about the negative health affects of using Splenda or sugar as a sweetener. It seems it's a well documented fact that pumping your blood glucose up by consuming sugar has negative health effects for just about every organ in your body and can promote many diseases including dementia and stroke. A recent study in the UK concluded that consuming soft drinks with artificial sweetener also increases the chances of developing dementia or having a stroke. The obvious thing to do is to not sweeten my coffee or tea with anything but then I wouldn't enjoy either.

I am absolutely positive that the sugar alternative is bad but I'm unsure of the
Splenda risk.
Did you find this post helpful?
|

replied May 30th, 2017
Experienced User
Well, I would still advocate splenda. No need to get overworked by the aspartame dilemmna. I have lost 43 pounds and had tons of sucralose sweetners. It doesn't necessarily correlate to diseases and issues happening as long as you maintain a nutrition plan and ideally staying active. Small amounts are even less likely. In order to be perfectly safe one would have to go with a different form of sugar, but honestly I don't think any others really taste as good as sucralose with zero calories. That's just me but there's raw sugar and whatever else to add sweetness if that's what you're after. You could always try a blend of a small amount of table sugar with some sucralose or splenda sugar as well. Doesn't have to be one or the other in it's entirety. I mean if you don't like either you could always search for a different sweetener outside of sugar/splenda or just go without any sweetener. Hope this helps I don't know what else to say.
|
Did you find this post helpful?
Quick Reply
Must Read
What is diabetes and what causes diabetes? Start here for basic facts about type 1 diabetes and type 2 diabetes. ...
What causes diabetes? Who is at risk of developing diabetes? Find out what can lead to the development of diabetes here....
Do you know the signs of the onset of diabetes? Read here to find out more about diabetes symptoms and when you need to seek help....