Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Digestive and Bowel Disorders Forum

sphincter/anus seem unable to close properl

User Profile
Hello, this is embarrassing but I've done something pretty stupid & think I've damaged my sphincter muscle. I did it by sitting on the top of a plastic soft drink bottle to see how far into my rectum I could get it. The top of the bottle was approx. 6 cms in circumference expanding to approx. 30 cms circumference about 10-15 cms from the top/at the middle of the bottle. Unfortunately I slipped as I squatted over it & sat on it, full weight (95 kg), & accidently forced it right into my rectum past the middle of the bottle causing my sphincter/anus to fully stretch about 9cms apart/ 30 cms around . Now my sphincter/anus seem unable to close properly and it's now always protrudes between my buttocks - it looks sort of like a hernia, which is all very embarrassing + hard to clean properly. Have I caused myself permanent damage ? Are there exercises I can do that will fix my over-stretched sphincter muscle ?

Did you find this post helpful?
First Helper User Profile DoctorQuestion

User Profile
replied April 29th, 2014
General Q and A Answer A46925
Welcome to ehealthforum,
It is difficult to comment on the exact amount of damage done and the injury without examining you. Do not ignore your symptoms. Visit your doctor/gynecologist at the earliest for thorough examination and evaluation to rule out serious injury and any permanent damage. Look out for development of any new symptoms. Be in regular monitoring and follow-up with your treating doctor/gynecologist and report any new/abnormal symptoms immediately.
Take care.

Did you find this post helpful?
Quick Reply
Must Read
Feeling constipated? Do you know how constipation is medically defined? Get the basics on this common gastrointestinal complaint here....
Are you experiencing severe or chronic constipation? Learn about causes of constipation here....
Constipation is defined differently by different people. Learn to identify signs and symptoms of constipation and know when to ask for medical help....
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Digestive and Bowel Disorders , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.