Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Neurological Disorders Forum

Speech difficulties and memory loss in young woman

Hi all-
I am almost 32 years old. For the last two years I have had progressively worse speech/language problems and memory loss. This occurs mainly while speaking, typing, reading, and writing. At first I attributed this to stress and have remedied as much of the stress as possible with meditation and mindfulness.

I was hoping to find others who have suffered and maybe get tips on working with my doctor and finding the cause.

Here is a sample of what I experience many, many times a day:

Can't find the word I am looking for, including very common words such as the name of the road I live on.

Substitute the wrong word, example my daughter called and asked where I was, and I answered "Wednesday." (I was not thinking about the word Wednesday or anything happening that day.)

Mixing up word order when speaking, example "I wait can't for Christmas"

Putting the plural on the wrong word, example "I need to buy news shoe."

Using the wrong grammar, example "In the forties they weared heels everywhere."

Additionally my "internal map" is hard to access, I get lost and disoriented frequently but can always find my way home because I know the general direction I need to go, just not the specifics.

(There's a lot more I could tell but its all along these lines.)

I've had full blood workup and was low on Vitamin D, but thyroid, B12 etc was within normal ranges. I am otherwise healthy. I am taking a megadose of vitamin D3 and continuing to monitor the levels.

I am going in for neuropsych testing right before Christmas.

This is very upsetting and I can no longer do my job because of it (I am a dog trainer - the dogs don't mind lol but the owners are noticing and have made concerned comments.)

I was wondering if anyone has experienced these symptoms and what paths your doctors took to find the cause. I trust my doctor but am a little worried that maybe the cause will elude us simply because I am so young.

Thank you for reading all of this, I tried to be as brief as possible. Smile
Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied December 17th, 2013
Thank you for your question.
You appear to be having an expressive aphasia. Technically it can be caused by anxiety and stress but I would not bet on it. To make sure that you have no disease of the brain you have to see a neurologist and get a brain MRI. I cannot come up with a particular diagnosis without examination. Neuropsychologist is the next step but not the first.

Providing Top Neurology Services in the New York area. Excellence in treating headaches, dizziness, and head pain.
|
Did you find this post helpful?
Must Read
How can you tell if a headache is serious, or not? What types of headaches are there? Get started learning the facts about headache here....
Do you know when to seek help for headache symptoms? Learn more about symptoms of the four different types of headaches...and when to go to a doctor here....
Headaches can be caused by various medical conditions. Learn which tests doctors use to diagnose problem headaches...and who you should see to start diagnosis....
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Neurological Disorders , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.