Medical Questions > Mental Health > Anxiety and Stress Forum

spasms from the top of my spine down to my knees

Over the past year I have been suffering with knee jerking spasms from the top of my spine down to my knees causing loss of balance and occasionally tight chest and dizziness. It usually happens after a few hours work but can come on suddenly at any point when walking. There's not much in the sense of pain but a complete lack of coordination and balance that is barely controllable and am sometimes curled over needing support due to chest pain. I do have a mild history of depression which has since passed, a collapsed arch in my right foot and a caffeine dependant diet (including energy drinks). This has all been mentioned to my gp and couldn't express more how much distress it causes me without being obedient and methodical/realistic. However my doctor believed it's down to anxiety and referred me to a physio for my knees and back, who said I have a weak core but couldn't explain it. I weigh 10 stone and I'm 5'6". I want to get a wider opinion before saving up for a full private medical examination so I ask now is there anyone out there kind enough to advise?

Just to throw this in there - another gp believes I have a small hernia just above from my genitals, slightly to the right. Having an ultrasound on this next week - probably unrelated
Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied November 30th, 2018
Thank you for asking at Ehealth forum!

I read your question and I understand your concern.
Your symptoms are consistent with somatoform pain disorder. I would suggest you to start amitriptyline and look for the response.
I hope it helps. Stay in touch with your healthcare provider for further guidance as our answers are just for education and counselling purposes and cannot be an alternative to actual visit to a doctor.
Take care
Khan
|
Did you find this post helpful?
Quick Reply
Must Read
Learn how doctors clinically diagnose one of twelve kinds of anxiety disorders...and which doctors you should see for an anxiety diagnosis....
Anxiety disorders can affect anyone. But do you know the common signs and symptoms of anxiety disorders? Learn more now....
Anxiety is a normal, healthy emotion when experienced during specific moments. But do you know the signs that anxiety has gotten out of control? Read more here...
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Anxiety and Stress , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.