Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Kidney Conditions Forum

spasms and pain in the kidney area !

Must Read
The kidneys filter blood and regulate body flood. What happens during kidney failure? And what types of kidney failure do doctors diagnose?...
There are three main condition which cause renal (kidney) failure. Learn what causes kidney failure and what factors increase your risk of kidney problems....
What are the signs of acute or chronic kidney failure? Which ones are more serious than others? And when should you ask a doctor or go to the ER for help?...
User Profile

I have kidney issues with my Right Kidney. I seem to have spasms and pain in the kidney area and it radiates to my bladder area. I do not have kidney stones (although I am prone to them and get them often) and have reoccurring kidney infections. I have had two surgeries to look in my kidney and a mucus was found flowing into my bladder and out and the same mucus in my Kidney.

I have been in this pain for three years now and still no answers. I have seen multiple doctors(heart, head, nerve, GI, ect) I am sure I had my gall bladder unnecessarily taken out.

My Urologist put me on medicine that is used for high blood pressure or prostate problems in men to help increase the flow. He is reviewing my entire three year history and probably will do another surgery. I had test in nuclear medicine that showed the even with a diuretic that the minimal lag in my right kidney did not improve.

I am at a lose and tired of being in pain and taking pain meds and having surgeries.

Did you find this post helpful?

User Profile
replied February 25th, 2011
Kidney Conditions Answer A20068
Hello, and thank you for your medical question on e Health Forum.

The history provided here is very vague and incomplete.

Presence of severe pains and need for pain killers indicate that the problem here may be a renal stone.

Presence of smaller stones can be treated conservatively. But larger stones causing severe pain and other symptoms may need some therapeutic interventions.

Also the history of recurrent UTI's indicate that you may be having Struvite stones. Specifically, infections with urease-producing bacteria (Ureaplasma urealyticum and Proteus species (most common), Staphylococcus species, Klebsiella species, Providencia species, and Pseudomonas species) are associated with struvite stone formation.

Presence of recurrent infections of the urinary tract, needs to be evaluated by urine tests , culture sensitivity , and an ultrasound to detect structural anomalies.

You might consider consulting a physician or a urologist for a physical examination and all necessary tests and to initiate necessary treatment

I hope this helps.

Did you find this post helpful?
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Kidney Conditions , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.