Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Herpes and Genital Warts Forum

sores don't particularly look like the typical herpes lesion

User Profile
After wearing a thong all day and falling asleep in it I have a lot blisters or sores. I believe I had a yeast infection before this. I am prone to uti's and vaginal infections. I usually get irritated when wearing thongs but not this badly. The sores don't seem to be filled with any liquid and don't particularly look like the typical herpes lesion. I itched a lot so it was bruised. Could this just be a result of a bacterial or fungal infection from prolonged use of the thong or could it be herpes?

Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied March 31st, 2015
Herpes and Genital Warts Answer A51676
Hello and Welcome

I appreciate your concern

The lesions should be clinically examined before leading to a diagnosis. Based upon your description and the onset with the clothing association, it could be contact dermatitis or an allergy to the material of the clothing. A wet mount microscopy exam can be done to look for evidence of the likely infection. Treatment can then be started based on the organism suspected i.e whether its a bacterial or fungal infection or an allergy. An STD panel can also be advised if none of the above are isolated and empiric treatment doesn't result in improvement of the rash.

wishing you best of health

thanks

Please consult your doctor before deciding on any further course of action

|
Did you find this post helpful?
Quick Reply
Must Read
20% of the population has or carries herpes simplex virus. But do you know what herpes is? Learn about causes and risk factors for herpes. ...
Do you know the less common signs and symptoms of herpes? Get the facts of herpes symptoms and outbreaks here....
Herpes diagnosis requires proper testing. Learn about the two simple tests that doctors use to confirm a herpes diagnosis....
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Herpes and Genital Warts , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.