About two weeks ago I had a bad upper respiratory viral infection. Fever, congestion, sore throat, throbbing headache, lost my voice, terrible cough, the whole nine yards. I've been symptom free for about a week, and yesterday I started to feel a little pain on the left side of my throat. I looked in the mirror with a flashlight, and my left tonsil was swollen. Allergies are super bad in my area right now, and I get a lot of allergy symptoms every spring so I didn't think much of it. This afternoon the pain got worse, so I checked my throat again. While my left tonsil is still quite swollen, it's not super red, it doesn't have any white patches, it's just swollen and painful. I'm not sure if it is strep, related to my allergies, or what, but just looking for some ideas on what it could be. My temperature is 98.8, and other than the sore throat I feel fine. I don't want to go to the doctor if I don't have to, as I was there twice with what I had going on two weeks ago. Any advice would be greatly appreciated!
Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied May 31st, 2018
(online)
Thank you for asking at Ehealth forum!
These findings are consistent with inflammation of tonsil.As you are afebrile hence it can be allergic. Use antiallergic like fexofenadine to settle the issue. Stay in touch with your healthcare provider for further guidance as our answers are just for education and counselling purposes and cannot be an alternative to actual visit to a doctor.
Take care
Khan

|

User Profile
replied May 31st, 2018
Hello and Welcome

I appreciate your concern

If the swelling is painless and is leading to any obstructive symptoms such as choking upon water or bits of food then it requires further workup. A tonsillectomy may be advised to determine a histopathological tissue based diagnosis in consultation with your doctor.

Wishing you best of health

Thanks

|
Must Read
The common cold is probably the most well known illness known to man. But did you know that it's a virus? Read to learn the basics about cold here....
How do you get a cold? And what causes the cold? Learn more about causes of the cold, and risk factors that you can avoid to prevent this illness....
You probably know many of the symptoms of a cold: sneezing, sore throat, a stuffy nose, and coughing. Do you know the difference between the flu vs. a cold?...
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Cold, Flu and Viral Infections , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.